Zoom, How to create a role based account
The first step in creating a role-based account is to create an Active Directory (AD) user in the department's Organizational Unit (OU). This will have to be done by someone who has been delegated OU Admin authority, typically the unit's IT Professional.
This article details how to setup a non-person role based account to be used for Zoom.
Creating the Account in ADThe following steps outline the process an IT Pro can follow to setup an account.
- Start Active Directory Users and Computers.
- Make sure you are connected to ad.uillinois.edu domain.
- Navigate to the OU that you manage or sub-OU where you want to create the account. (Note: OU names should not contain protected characters such as "/" or "\")
- Right click in right hand window, choose New, then User
- Fill out the "New Object - User" window using the following guidelines:
- When choosing a User logon name, be sure to use something that cannot be used as a person's NetID. The user login name for a role-based account should be longer than 8 and less then 20 characters long. Pick a naming scheme that is consistent and helps identify the purpose of the account.
- First name, Initials, and Last name are unimportant for this process, set them to whatever makes sense.
- Full name becomes the account's CN (object name displayed in ADUC). This should be the same as the User logon name and User logon name (pre-Windows 2000).
- User logon name is important. This is used as the login name for the account in Skype for Business. The domain following User login name should be @illinois.edu (or @uillinois.edu for UA units). This will become the account's UserPrincipleName in AD.
- User logon name (pre-Windows 2000) is also important. It MUST match the CN and User Logon Name. This will become the account's sAMAccountName.
- Click next
- Create a strong password and choose the password options appropriate to your unit.
- Click next
- Click Finish
- After the account is created, open it (double-click; or right-click and choose Properties), and change the Display Name. Set this to something descriptive.