What are some common questions about Zoom?
What should I know about Zoom?
I can't share my computer audio
- There is a checkbox when you elect to share a screen. You must check the box to "share computer sound" at the time you select what to share. This setting is highlighted in the image below:
- IMPORTANT: Make sure the audio in your application itself or is not muted or turned down. Also make sure your system audio is not muted or turned down.
Polls - can't launch polling?
- Only the person who scheduled the meeting can create and launch a pool while in session.
- IF the poll was created in advance, then an alternative host or co-host can launch a poll, but they cannot create and launch their own poll.
Breakout Rooms - My TA, co-host, etc. can't access breakout rooms or move people around
- Only the active meeting host can use breakout rooms. You must give the host role over to someone else for them to manage or enter breakout rooms.
- I had my participants window pop out but can't reattach it:
- Look for a button called "Merge" or a little box called "More" in the lower right corner of the Participants window box. If you click that, you will have the option to "Merge to meeting window"
- I can't see the Participants window
- Click the Participants button to bring it up.
- Or if this occurred after you started sharing computer content, the window is hidden when you go into full-screen mode. Try the pop out feature for the window BEFORE you start to share your screen. The window can float around then. You can also exit full screen mode.
- I can't see the chat window.
- Click the Chat button to bring the window up.
- You can only see messages sent AFTER you have opened the chat window.
- Make sure the chats are not "private" or not everyone can see them. If someone sends you a private message, it puts you into a private conversation immediately. Switch back to everyone.Chats in breakout rooms cannot be shared between rooms or with the main room.
- If this occurred after you started sharing computer content, the window is hidden when you go into full-screen mode. Try the pop out feature for the window BEFORE you start to share your screen. The window can float around then. You can also exit full screen mode
- I had my chat window pop out but can't reattach it:
- Look for a little box with 3 dots [...] in the lower right corner of the Chat box. If you click that, you will have the option to "Merge to meeting window"
AnnotationIMPORTANT: Annotations made by ANYONE are visible to EVERYONE.
- If you would like to disable annotations during a meeting, while sharing your screen:
- Click "More" on the right side of the sharing control panel
- Select "Disable Participants Annotations"
- If you would like to label annotations during a meeting, while sharing your screen:
- Click "More" on the right side of the sharing control panel
- Select "Show Names of Annotators"
Attendance - My meeting is not showing up in the Usage Reports.
- You may need to wait as there has been delays in reports. It can take many hours to show up. Try waiting overnight.
What Calendar Plugins work for Zoom currently?
- Zoom users can send a meeting invitation to either Google or Outlook users when scheduling within Zoom. They are also able to add plugins within Google Calendar and Outlook Calendar. Zoom's invitation is going to send either a .ics file that should be read by Outlook or if you send a meeting invitation to a user with a Gmail domain, it'll send it to their account which they can add to their calendar to Accept/Decline/Tentative status.
- More information about adding plugins can be found here.
How many Hosts can I have in a meeting?
- You cannot have multiple Hosts in a meeting. You can have one host at any time in the meeting, but you can also promote those in the meeting to either Host or make them Co-Host.
- There are no limits to the number of co-hosts in a meeting.
What are the differences between Host and Co-Host
- Co-hosts and hosts have similar access to most of the same in meeting controls.
- Controls that hosts have access to, that co-hosts do not are: starting closed captioning, starting live streaming, ending the meeting for all participants, make another participant a co-host. Co-hosts also cannot start breakout rooms, move participants from one breakout room to another or start waiting rooms.
- Please visit Zoom for more information about the differences between Host and Co-Host controls
- Hosts can set or promote as many Co-hosts in a meeting. However if a Host promotes another to host, they will lose all host functionality.
Is there training available?
- Live training is free at: http://zoom.us/livetraining
- Users are required to register for live training sessions
- Find the training invitation in your inbox and join at the appropriate time to attend.
- Recorded training videos are also available. There is no need to register to watch recorded training videos.
- IMPORTANT: Zoom now offers an Educators specific training course. You can either register for an interactive live session here. Or you can also watch a recorded version here.
What are the supported browsers?
- Chrome and Firefox are our supported platforms.
- If you would like to add Zoom extensions to your browser:
To add the Zoom Meeting plugin to the Chrome Browser please follow the instructions below:
- Navigate to the Zoom Chrome Extension page.
- Click "Add to Chrome"
To add the Zoom Meeting plugin to the Firefox Web Browser please follow the instructions below:
- Navigate to the Zoom Scheduler Firefox ADD-ONS page.
- Click "+Add to Firefox"
IMPORTANT: Make sure to select "Sign in with SSO" when prompted to ensure your license is applied during login. For more information visit How can I log in to Zoom?.
What is Zoom Scheduling Privilege?
- Scheduling Privilege is giving someone the ability to schedule meetings on your behalf. This will also give the user the ability to see and edit your other meetings on your Zoom account.
- Please visits Zoom Support for more information about Scheduling Privilege.
Take a look at Zoom: Frequently Asked Questions directly from Zoom Support if you would like more answers to commonly asked questions.
- More information can also be found here.