HOWTO: Creating a KB doc from a template in the SCS KB
Basic instructions for creating a document from a template
To use a Template:
- Click on Create a Doc from... in the left navigation
- Click on the blue Save As... button next to the appropriate template
Above the editor:
- Change the title
- Remove TEMPLATE
- Add a descriptive subject line
- For CORES labs, be sure to use the Lab name or acronym in the title, preferably at the beginning (NMR, Mass Spec, etc)
- For Computing,
- If the document will be used on the SCS website, add (web) to the title
- Example: NMR - NMR Student training (web)
- Add keywords - use as many as you can think of that someone might use to try to find this document
- Add a summary - this will appear on the KB article, right below the title
Below the editor
- Check the topics to be sure that the correct topics are selected
- Write Access: Select additional groups that should be able to edit the document
- Each template has some default groups already selected - leave these.
- Add the appropriate group(s)
- If the correct group doesn't exist, email email@example.com and we'll add it
- If the document will be used on the Web, be sure to select "SCS Webmasters"
- Read access:
- for external documents, both "UillinoisSCS-External" and "UillinoisSCS-internal" should be selected. This allows a document to be read publicly without any authentication.
- Click Show Additional Fields
- Change the owner to whoever should be responsible for the document
Editing the document
- Once you've edited everything above, remove this text and edit the document's content.
Publishing a document
- Submit the document. The status will be "In Progress"
- When you're ready for the document to be live, change the status to "Active"