Topics Map > OBFS
University Bursar - What is the Returned Check Policy?
The University will charge a $25.00 fee for each check, electronic or paper, returned by the financial institution for any reason and will refuse to accept any checks made after two returned checks, regardless of any reason by the financial institution.
- No Account/Unable to Locate. Typically this means the account number structure is invalid and the financial institution cannot find any account with that number in its records. The payer should contact their financial institution for the correct information to use for ACH transactions. This may occur because the payer entered the number on their debit card, instead of their bank account number.
- NSF/Insufficient Funds. At the time the check was presented to the account holder's financial institution, there were not enough funds in the account.
- Stop Payment. The account holder, the person who originally wrote the check or authorized the draft, has revoked their authorization.
- Closed Account. The account holder's bank account that was associated with the check is closed.
- Frozen Account/Blocked Account. The bank was required to lock or freeze the account.