Topics Map > Banner > Connectivity
Topics Map > Computer Operations Engineering > Application Administration
Running Banner Forms using JNLP - Overview
Explains how to run Banner Forms using JNLP.
What is JNLP?
The Java Network Launch Protocol is an extension of the Java Web Start, which uses XML code to launch the .jnlp extension file on the client's desktop. Java Web Start is included in the Java Runtime Environment (JRE) since release of Java 5.0. This means that when you install Java, you get Java Web Start installed automatically. The Java Web Start software is launched automatically, when a Java application using Java Web Start technology is downloaded and opened.
How does it work with Banner?
Utilizing the forms server, a JNLP file is created and downloaded to the client workstation. After launching this file, the Java application will launch Banner Forms.
Mozilla FireFox, IE 11, Microsoft Edge, and Google Chrome (Google Chrome Requires Work-Around Displayed Below)
Advantages of using JNLP with Banner:
No Java Support needed in Browser
- Launches the Banner Application as a standalone
Java Application the client Machine
Disadvantages of using JNLP with Banner:
- New JNLP file is created each time you access Banner. Edge Browser leaves these in the downloads folder and launches it from there
- Java Process is still running in task manager even after Banner is closed
How to manually kill the Java Process:
What is the Cause of the Problem?
The current version of Oracle Forms that is supported by Banner Forms in our production environment has a bug, that does not properly close out the Banner JNLP process that runs after the Java Web Start launch on local workstations when you exit the application. Restarting your machine daily will clean up these runaway processes, or you can do the steps below.
Work-Around:Step 1: Start up the Task Manager by right-clicking on the taskbar and choosing the "Start Task Manager" option from the desktop.
Step 2: In the Windows Task Manager, click on the "Processes" Tab. Click on the "jp2launcher.exe" to highlight it. Then click "End Process".
Step 3: You are then prompted "Do you want to end 'jp2launcher.exe *32'? Click "End process".
Repeat Steps 2 and 3 as many times as needed to end the Banner Forms processes that are still running. Click the Red X, in the upper-right corner to close the task manager.
- JNLP - How to Launch Banner Forms (Windows) (Firefox)
- JNLP - How to Launch Banner Forms (Windows) (Chrome)
- JNLP - How to Launch Banner Forms (Windows) (Internet Explorer 11)
- JNLP - How to Launch Banner Forms (Windows) (Microsoft Edge)
- JNLP - How to Launch Banner Forms (Mac) (Firefox)
- JNLP - How to Launch Banner Forms (Mac) (Chrome)