University Bursar - Who receives an IRS Form 1098-T?

Students who are U.S. Citizens or permanent residents and who received a reportable transaction during the year.

Blue Box SSN To provide a valid a Social Security number, download the W-9S form from the IRS website, complete and return it to your campus Registrar Office. 

Urbana Office of the Registrar 
Chicago Office of the Registrar 
Springfield Office of Records and Registration 

Blue Box Map To provide a valid mailing address, log into your student account, follow the instructions for your campus and select “Personal Information”. E-mail University Bursar at once a valid address
is provided. 

Blue Box Triangle Exclamation Under U.S. Department of Treasury Regulation §1.6050S-1(a)(2), the University is not required to provide Form 1098-T for the following: 
    • Students who are nonresident alien, unless the student requests the institution to file Form 1098-T; or 
    • Students whose qualified tuition and related expenses are entirely waived or paid entirely with scholarships or grants; or
    • Students for whom the institution does not maintain a separate financial account and whose qualified tuition and related expenses are covered by a formal billing arrangement with the student’s employer or a government agency, such as the Department of Veterans Affairs or the Department of Defense; or 
    • Courses for which no academic credit is offered, even if the student is otherwise enrolled in a degree program.

See Also: