Topics Map > Accounting > Service Activities
System Government Costing - Fund Balance: Populating the Service Activity Rate Template
Guide to populating the service activity rate template.
The adjusted fund balance and working capital should be calculated for every service fund. The over-under recovery should be calculated to determine if your fund has a surplus or a deficit. If you are over or under recovered, this impacts what you should charge your customers.
Complete the Expenditures, Equipment Depreciation, and Salaries and Wages tabs before completing the Fund Balance tab.
- You should already have run the Webi report to calculate the Fund Balance Report.
NOTE: See the Fund Balance: Running the Webi Report job aid for assistance.
- Open the saved Fund Balance Report in Excel.
- Click on EOY Fund Balance tab.
- Copy the fund balance table including only the information for the relevant 3E fund.
- Open a previously saved version of the Service Activity Rate Calculation Template if adding data to an existing rate calculation Excel file.
- Click on the Adjusted Fund Balance tab.
- Paste the fund balance table from the Fund Balance Report underneath the Calculations of Fund Balance Over/Under Recoveries section.
- Type in the Financial Fund Code for the fund from the Fund Balance table you pasted onto this tab.
- Type in the Financial Fund Title for the fund from the Fund Balance table you pasted onto this tab.
- Type in the End of Year Fund Balance amount for the fund from the Fund Balance table you pasted onto this tab.
NOTE: If the balance is negative (surplus), ensure that you input the negative value.
- Replace the titles Rate #1, Rate #2, etc., to something more descriptive. For example, Microscope Rate, X-Ray Rate, Truck Rate, etc. You may add or delete rate columns, as necessary.
- Click the Save button.