Topics Map > Payroll > Payroll Adjustments
UPB - Initiating a Prior Underpayment Adjustment (PUA) for COVID-19 Emergency Sick Leave for Academic (Monthly) Employees
Initiating a Prior Underpayment Adjustment (PUA) for COVID-19 Emergency Sick Leave for Academic (Monthly) Employees
Employees who miss work due to COVID-19 may be eligible for two weeks of emergency sick leave paid at full pay or 2/3 pay. In addition, employees may be eligible for 10 weeks of COVID-19 expanded FMLA leave at 2/3 pay.
See the System HR Families First Coronavirus Response Act resource page for more information.
Human Resources will update job records as needed to accommodate emergency pay leave situations. If job records are not updated before payroll calculation, and it’s after the CPA window but before paydat, complete the following steps:
- Submit a Pay Stop in the Adjustment Notification Application (ANA) to cancel the payment. See the Submitting a Pay Stop Request job aid for instructions.
- Initiate a PUA to get the employee the correct pay. See instructions below.
NOTE: If pay amount is correct but COVID-19 emergency sick leave paying at 100% needs to be reported, do not submit a Pay Stop or PUA. Adjust the leave balance with a Leave Balance Adjustment in ANA. View the Adjustment Notification Application (ANA) Job Aids for instructions.
- Log in to PARIS.
- Open PARIS.
- Log in.
- Select the employee to adjust.
- Enter employee’s UIN in the QUICK SEARCH field.
Click EMPLOYEE SEARCH and select the criteria.
NOTE: See the Performing an Advanced Employee Search Job Aid for help.
- Click the Search button.
The Payroll Record View (PRV) opens.
- Start the PUA.
- Click the gray pay even accordion to select the pay event.
- Click the ADJ button to the right.
The PAY HISTORY tab displays a new row in yellow for the adjustment.
- Select Late Job Posting from the Adjustment Reason menu under Pay Event Detail.
NOTE: Event Type, Calc Method, and Print Method fields default appropriate to the adjustment reason and are not user editable.
- Select the job(s) to adjust.
- Click the JOBS accordion to display each active job for the pay period.
- Click the green job bar for the job to adjust.
Job Detail opens.
- Select and the appropriate COVID-19 emergency sick leave earn code.
- Select the earn code from the New Earn Code Selection menu:
- CO2 – COVID19 Sick Leave 66.67%
- CO3 – COVID19 Expanded FMLA 66.67%
NOTE: If unable to select these earn codes see the Setting User Preferences for Earn Codes job aid.
NOTE: If the pay amount is correct but CO1 needs to be reported, submit a Leave Balance Adjustment in ANA rather than a PUA.
- Click the Add New Earn Code button.
Payroll Record View and Earnings Detail refresh.
NOTE: Scroll down to view and edit the Earnings Detail.
- Enter the number of emergency leave hours used in the Hours Or Units field.
- Enter regular pay hours for the balance of the pay period.
- Select the ADD – Adjust Dollar Amount earn code from the New Earn Code Selection menu.
- Enter the balance of regular hours in the Hours Or Units field.
Calculate the number of hours remaining in the pay period by subtracting the emergency sick leave hours from the total hours in the pay period.
Example: 173.3 total hours minus 80 hours CO2 = 93.3 regular hours.
- Enter the hourly rate in the Special Rate field.
NOTE: Use the rate from the Employee Jobs (NBAJOBS) page in Banner, or look up the rate in the Human Resources Front End (HRFE).
- Edit the C-FOAPAL if needed.
- Click the Edit button.
NOTE: See the Editing Labor Distributions in PARIS Job Aid for help.
- Click the Add LD button to insert an additional C-FOAPAL.
- Click the Save button (located lower left) and review changes.
NOTE: Changed fields are highlighted in red, system updated fields in green.
- If required, select another job from this pay period to adjust.
NOTE: Additional earn codes or jobs will require careful calculation to make sure the emergency sick leave hours are accurately reported.
- Type a description for the payment.
- Click the green MEMOS tab (near the top).
- Enter a detailed description describing the COVID-19 emergency sick leave situation in the Memo box.
- Click the ADD button.
- Edit or enter your phone number in the INITIATOR PHONE NUMBER field if needed.
- Complete the transaction once all changes have been made.
- Click the Save button.
- Click the Route button.
NOTE: To cancel a transaction before routing it, select Delete Entire Transaction from the TRANSACTIONS menu.