Topics Map > Payroll > Payroll Adjustments
UPB - Initiating a Prior Underpayment Adjustment (PUA) for COVID-19 Emergency Sick Leave – Bi-weekly Exempt Employees
Initiating a Prior Underpayment Adjustment (PUA) for COVID-19 Emergency Sick Leave – Bi-weekly Exempt Employees
Employees who miss work due to COVID-19 may be eligible for two weeks of emergency sick leave paid at full pay or 2/3 pay. In addition, employees may be eligible for 10 weeks of COVID-19 expanded FMLA leave at 2/3 pay.
See the System HR Families First Coronavirus Response Act resource page for more information.
Human Resources will update job records as needed to accommodate emergency pay leave situations. If job records are not updated before payroll calculation, and it’s after the CPA window but before payday, complete the following steps to prevent an overpayment:
- Submit a Pay Stop in the Adjustment Notification Application (ANA) to cancel the payment. See the Submitting a Pay Stop Request job aid for instructions.
- Initiate a PUA to get the employee the correct pay. See instructions below.
NOTE: If pay amount is correct but COVID-19 emergency sick leave paying at 100% needs to be reported, do not submit a Pay Stop and PUA. Adjust the leave balance with a Leave Balance Adjustment in ANA. View the Adjustment Notification Application (ANA) Job Aids for instructions.
- Log in to PARIS.
- Open PARIS.
- Log in.
- Select the employee to adjust.
- Enter employee’s UIN in the QUICK SEARCH field.
Click EMPLOYEE SEARCH and select the criteria.
NOTE: See the Performing an Advanced Employee Search Job Aid for help.
- Click the Search button.
The Payroll Record View (PRV) opens.
- Start the PUA.
- Click the ADJ button to the right of the gray pay event bar.
The PAY HISTORY tab displays a new row in yellow for the adjustment.
- Select the Adjustment Reason from the menu under Pay Event Detail:
- Job Change
- Late Job Posting
NOTE: Event Type, Calc Method, and Print Method fields default appropriate to the adjustment reason and are not user editable.
- Select the job(s) to adjust.
- Click the JOBS accordion to display each active job for the pay period.
- Click the green job bar for the job to adjust.
- Select Regular Pay earnings code.
- Select RGE – Regular Pay-Exempt from the New Earn Code Selection menu.
NOTE: If unable to select this earn code see the Setting User Preferences for Earn Codes job aid.
- Click the Add New Earn Code button.
NOTE: This earn code is not editable. It will automatically calculate after you enter and save the COVID19 earn code below.
Scroll down to view the Earnings Detail.
- Select the appropriate COVID-19 emergency sick leave earn code.
- Select the earn code from the New Earn Code Selection menu:
- CO1 – COVID19 Sick Leave 100%
- CO2 – COVID19 Sick Leave 66.67%
- CO3 – COVID19 Expanded FMLA 66.67%
NOTE: If pay amount was correct but CO1 needs to be reported, submit a Leave Balance Adjustment in ANA rather than a PUA.
- Click the Add New Earn Code button.
Payroll Record View and Earnings Detail refresh.
NOTE: Scroll down to view and edit the Earnings Detail.
- Enter the emergency sick leave hours used in the Hours Or Units field.
NOTE: PARIS will not allow you to enter the entire pay period (generally 75 or 80 hours). Instead, enter 74.99 or 79.99 hours. UPB will correct the difference.
- Edit the C-FOAPAL if needed.
- Click the Edit button.
- Click the Add LD button to insert an additional C-FOAPAL.
- Click the Save button (located lower left) and review changes.
Troubleshooting: If you encounter the error RGE: Total Labor Distribution Percentage must equal 100, remove all earn codes, cancel changes, or delete entire transaction and begin again.
- If required, select another job from this pay period to adjust.
NOTE: Make sure the emergency leave hours are accurately reported across all jobs.
- Type a description for the payment.
- Click the green MEMOS tab (near the top).
- Enter a detailed description describing the COVID-19 emergency sick leave situation in the Memo box.
- Click the ADD button.
- Edit or enter your phone number in the INITIATOR PHONE NUMBER field if needed.
- Complete the transaction once all changes have been made.
- Click the Save button.
- Click the Route button.
NOTE: To cancel a transaction before routing it, select Delete Entire Transaction from the TRANSACTIONS menu.