Topics Map > Payroll > Foreign National Payments
UPB - Eligibility for Honoraria
Eligibility for Honoraria
The 9-5-6 Rule
Foreign national B1 and B2 visitors, as well as WB and WT waivers must adhere to the 9-5-6 Rule:
- An honorarium or other payment is only permitted for an individual’s activities lasting NINE days or less.
- He or she cannot receive more than FIVE payments during the past SIX months.
All B and W visa holders must complete the Foreign National Compliance Statement (FNSC) to indicate compliance with this rule.
H-1Bs (regardless of sponsor) are not allowed to receive an honorarium
- If sponsored by the University of Illinois System, H-1Bs are not allowed to receive an honorarium because they are an employee.
- If they are not sponsored by the U of I System, they cannot be paid since they are only allowed to receive payments from their approved employer.
To avoid penalties:
- To avoid penalties to foreign national visitors or the U of I System, you must confirm that each immigration status allows payment of an honorarium.
- Prior to inviting any foreign national to engage in an activity for which payment is to be received, the host faculty or staff must check the Foreign National Payment Eligibility Grid.
If you need help, contact the Foreign National Service Center at email@example.com.