Topics Map > Payroll > Foreign National Payments
UPB - Submit a Human Subject Payment
Submit a Human Subject Payment
Independent contractors are self-employed individuals who perform services by mutual agreement.
Save the completed Foreign National Payment e-Form to your computer to retain a copy for your records.
- Check payment eligibility using the Foreign Nationals Payment Eligibility Grid. Restrictions may apply.
- Collect the documents required for the foreign national’s visa type.
NOTE: Documentation is not required for individuals who do not enter the U.S. except form W-8BEN.
- Open the Foreign National Payment e-Form.
- Complete the payee information section.
- Enter the payee UIN or Vendor ID if applicable. Leave blank for a temporary vendor.
- Enter the name in the Payee Name field.
- Enter the payee address in the Address field.
- Select the university from the Campus menu.
- Enter the department’s university mail code in the Mail Code field.
- Enter the department’s name in the Department Name field.
- Enter the department contact’s name in the Department Contact field.
- Select No Special Handling from the Special Handling menu,
OR select Wire Transfer if paying by wire transfer.
- Enter the department contact’s 10-digit phone number in the Phone Number field.
- Complete the payment description section.
- Select the Human Subject Payment type.
- Enter the date or date range in the Date of Activity column.
- In the Description column enter an explanation of the human subject payment. Type gross up if you are paying the taxes so the individual will receive the specific human subject payment amount. See Grossing-Up Foreign National Payments.
- Enter the total dollar amount of the human subject payment in the Amount column.
- Enter the appropriate C-FOAPAL(s).
- Click the Department Authorized Approval field and electronically sign the form. See the instructions on how to set up your digital ID if it has not been set up yet.
- Enter today’s date in the Date field.
- Click the E-Mail button.
- Make note of the tracking number auto-populated in the Payroll Use Only section of the form.
- Fax supporting documents (see Step 2 above) to the Foreign National Service Center, 217-239-6909. Include the following:
- the tracking number on the cover page
- all required forms and documents for the individual’s visa status