macOS (10.12) - AITS VPN keeps disconnecting
As of September 20, 2016, Apple has released operating system upgrades to macOS (formally Mac OS X) which removes software support for older VPN technologies used for connecting to the AITS VPN Server. In order to continue connecting to the AITS VPN Server, Apple users within University Administration will need to configure their Apple desktops and laptops to connect using a newer VPN technology known as Internet Key Exchange version 2, or simply IKEv2.
IMPORTANT: For best results you must follow these steps to download a personalized VPN profile. Manually configuring an IKEv2 profile instead of downloading the AITS VPN profile below will cause your Mac to disconnect from the VPN after 8 minutes due to missing settings that are needed.
- Click here to download your personalized VPN profile named AITS-VPN-IKEv2.mobileconfig (authentication required).
- Install the AITS VPN Profile. Click the Continue button to begin.
- Click the Install button to accept warning messages pertaining to VPNs and profiles.
- In order to modify your Mac device configuration, Enter your Mac’s Username and Password when prompted. Click the OK button to continue.
- To complete the installation, dismiss the profile screen by clicking on the red circle at the top left corner of the Profiles window.
- You can now select which AITS VPN Server you prefer and connect to the VPN by clicking on the connect button under System Preferences > Network> AITS Urbana (or Chicago) IKEv2.