Use the suggestions below to solve IT-related issues. If you need further assistance, the Technology Solutions Service Desk is available to help. When contacting the Service Desk, please see the list of questions our staff may ask you, so we can provide you with our best customer service.
- Easy fixes to the most commonly reported problems
Please try these suggestions before contacting us. These are common fixes that solve the majority of the problems that customers call us to report:
- Check the Service Status Page to see if the problem has already been reported – Widespread issues for most services will be communicated and updated here.
- Clear your browser cache and cookies.
- For password issues, visit identity.uillinois.edu, select "I forgot my password", and use your recovery options to reset your password.
- Check your network and VPN settings – if you're on WiFi, make sure you are connected to the correct wireless network (usually UIC-WiFi).
- If needed verify your VPN connection.
- Check all physical connections to make sure they are securely connected,often a loose cable or connector (power, network, keyboard, mouse, speaker, monitor cable, etc.) is the cause of the problem.
- Restart your computer.
- Look for a Help function within the program – the online Help in most programs can provide how-to explanations and solutions to common problems.
- Verify your computer meets the listed system requirements for the application.
- Consult with your local system or network administrator. If there is someone in your area who maintains your computers, consult with them for advice on whether you should contact the Technology Solutions Service Desk.
- Search the University of Illinois KnowledgeBase at https://answers.uillinois.edu/uic for help with your problem – many general and specific computing solutions are available on these sites.
- How to diagnose your problem
- Are others nearby having a similar problem? If so, the problem likely is not with your computer or your account. Refer to the Service Status page to see if the issue has already been reported. If not, contact us.
- Has worked correctly in the past? If so, consider the last time it worked and what has changed on your computer since then. Have any changes been made to your account or your records recently? Often, the last thing that changed on the computer or your account is the source of the given problem.
- Is this is the only problem you are having? Try a couple of other things from your computer to see if anything else is broken. Knowing whether the problem is isolated or part of a series of problems helps to understand the magnitude of what needs to be fixed.
- Can you consistently recreate the issue, or does it occur randomly? Random and/or intermittent problems are usually more difficult to diagnose and fix. But if a problem occurs at a specific time and can be reproduced, you will be able to isolate the problem and consider the factors involved, which may lead you to a solution.
- Does it work from another web browser? Try another browser such as Internet Explorer, Google Chrome, or Mozilla Firefox. If it works in another browser, then the problem may be related to cache, cookies or some other configuration issue specific to the browser where it doesn't work.
- Questions we may ask when you contact the Technology Solutions Service Desk
- For identification purposes, we will ask for your NetID and/or UIN.
- If you are getting an error, what is the exact wording of the error? This is often critical to determining the solution.
- Can you send us a full screenshot of what you see?
- If you can reproduce the problem, give us a step-by-step description of how you're arriving at the issue.
- What kind of desktop, laptop, or mobile device are you using?
- Microsoft Windows or Apple MacOS?
- Which web browser are you using? Internet Explorer, Google Chrome, Firefox, or Safari?
- How are you accessing the application? A bookmark, a saved link, or via another website?
- Phone number or email address where you would like to be reached?
- Referring customers to the Technology Solutions Service Desk
- If you have a customer on the phone that needs support from Technology Solutions, a "warm" transfer of the customer is preferred. Explain the problem to us on behalf of the customer and recap any troubleshooting steps taken. The best customer service experience is when the customer is gracefully handed off, as opposed to a cold or blind transfer, or worse – simply giving them our phone number to call and hanging up.
- When referring customers via email, you can send an email on behalf of the customer. Simply indicate the customer's name and NetID and we will make sure to communicate with both you and the customer through the ticket that we create.