Topics Map > Computing Services
Topics Map > Communication & Collaboration > Cloud Storage > OneDrive
How do I enable and use Versioning in OneDrive?
Versioning in OneDrive can be enabled by performing the following steps.
If you plan to make heavy use of the collaborative features of your OneDrive for Business library, you should enable the versioning feature. Versioning allows you to:
- Track history of a version, such as when it was changed and by whom.
- Restore a previous version.
- View a previous version so that you can compare it with another version.
Enable Versioning for Documents
1. After logging into UIC's OneDrive by going to http://onedrive.uic.edu, Click on the "gear"-shaped icon in the upper right-hand corner of the screen
2. In the Settings menu, click on Site contents.
3. In the Site Contents page, move your mouse over the Documents icon so that it appears selected. Click anywhere in the highlighted area of Documents.
4. Click Settings in the Documents pop-out.
5. In the Documents Settings page, under the General Settings column, click on the link for Versioning settings.
6. In the Versioning Settings page, in the Document Version History section, there is a group of radio buttons under the heading Create a version each time you edit a file in this document library? Select the radio button beside the type of versioning you would like to use.
7. Scroll to the bottom of the page, and click the OK button to enable this selection.
When versioning has been enabled, you will be able to see as far as ten versions back of a document.
1. Select a file in the document library so that a check mark appears to the left of the document name.
2. Click on the Files tab (top-left of window)
NOTE: If the Version History button is grayed out, versioning is not turned on.
3. In the Manage group, click on the Version History command.
4. A Version History dialog box appears that looks like the following:
5. When you hover over a version in the Modified column, you’ll get a pull-down that offers you the choice to View, Restore, or Delete the document.
Note: If you are the owner of a document, you can also manage versions in the Info section of the Backstage View(i.e., the File tab) in the corresponding Office 2013 application.