people.uic.edu is the free shared personal web hosting platform for our faculty, staff, and students at UIC. The default URL for sites on people.uic.edu is http://NetID.people.uic.edu with NetID being replaced with your own personal NetID. You can sign up for your account by visiting people.uic.edu.
- You can manage content using SSH and SFTP clients (like Dreamweaver), or map your account as a network share on Windows or on Mac.
- people.uic.edu is designed to be a personal web publishing platform, so group access is not supported.
- Each account has a 1 GB maximum disk usage quota.
- We may install content management systems such as WordPress and Drupal on people.uic.edu at your request, but we cannot provide support or troubleshooting.
- You may use SQLite or request an external MySQL database to use along with your people.uic.edu site.
- PHP and CGI are supported (codewrap and cgiwrap are no longer required).
- Custom Perl and PHP libraries may be installed in your home directory.
- You may use .htaccess for access control, error pages, and redirects, among other things.
- Web server logs are available in your home directory (/home/NetID/logs).
Our GoogleApps@UIC service includes the use of Google Sites. Google Sites offers template-based websites and content management systems for individual faculty, staff, and student pages as well as groups like departments, campus units, student and professional organizations and research groups. You can visit our Google Sites page to request yours today.
The default URL for a UIC Google Site is https://sites.google.com/a/uic.edu/site where site is the name you give your Google Site.
Custom URLs are available for the following groups:
- Student organizations: site.org.uic.edu
- Research Labs: site.labs.uic.edu
- Class websites: site.class.uic.edu
- Personal websites: NetID.gsites.uic.edu
Google Sites can only be accessed from the web; they are inaccessible via SSH or SFTP.