Topics Map > Infrastructure > Network > Virtual Private Network (VPN)
How do I install and use UIC VPN on Android?
This document provides instructions on use of UIC’s new VPN solution. Please note that the use of this VPN solution requires you to enroll in the university’s Two-Factor Authentication (2FA) solution - 2FA. 2FA provides an additional level of security to protect your resources.
The use of UIC's VPN solution requires you to enroll in the university’s Two-Factor Authentication (2FA) solution - 2FA.
Note: General guidelines below. Because there are so many variations in Android device interfaces, the specific sequence required for your particular device may not be described here. The images below were taken on Samsung S5; your interface may vary.
NOTE: The AnyConnect client is not compatible with all Android devices; the Play Store and Kindle Store will inform you if your particular device isn't compatible.
After you've installed the AnyConnect app on your Android or Kindle, there may be a new AnyConnect icon on your home screen, or you may need to look through All Applications to find it.
(Note that on other operating systems, you may be used to looking under 'Cisco AnyConnect' to find the VPN app; on Android it appears as 'AnyConnect'.)
- Launch the AnyConnect app.
- If prompted with an End User License Agreement (EULA), tap to accept it.
- You may be prompted with a message inquiring about access. Acknowledge confirmation of message. Click OK.
- You may receive another prompt asking if AnyConnect can manage phone calls. Click Deny.
- Click Connections.
- Click Add New VPN Connection...
- In the Connection Editor, enter the following:
- Description: UIC VPN
- Server address: vpn.uic.edu
- Tap Done.
This will save the configuration for future use.
- In the AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client window that appears:
- Under "Connections," ensure UIC VPN is selected
- Swipe the AnyConnect VPN switch in the top right corner from Off to On
- You will need to enter your credentials to connect to the VPN. After a successful login, the field names will change to become more descriptive (Username becomes NetID and Second Password becomes 2FA Method)
- The Group will be pre-selected as General-Use, but you may want to change this (you will need to change the group in order to access Library resources). Review What group should I use for AnyConnect VPN? .
- In the Username field type your UIC NetID
- In the Password field type your UIC common password.
- In the Second Password field, what you enter will depend on the 2FA method you want to use. Follow the instructions below for the method of your choice:
- Type push if you have the Duo App installed in your smart phone, then click OK. Your phone will prompt you to authorize the login request via the Duo app. Approve the login request to proceed. For more information about the Duo mobile app, see this document: 2FA - Installing the Duo Mobile app
- Or type phone if you want to receive a phone call to your registered phone number, then click OK. Answer the call and follow the instructions given.
- Or type sms if you want to get a code via text message to your registered mobile device, then click OK. Your login attempt will ‘fail’ and you will be prompted to login to AnyConnect again. This time, re-enter your common password, and in the Second Password field enter the 6-digit code received via the text message. Note: the passcode expires after 5 minutes.
- If the above methods do not work for you, or you prefer not to use them, you can also directly enter the 6-digit code generated by your Duo mobile app or your registered OTP C100 physical token.
- After your connection is established, use your other applications as needed.
- You will be prompted with a Connection request. Click OK. Note: If you click Cancel, the VPN connection will fail.
- When you've connected, the On/Off toggle will show as On and the status will be connected to UIC VPN.
At this point, you can return to your Home screen and use your other apps as needed.
When you're done using the VPN connection, disconnect it.
- Tap the Cisco AnyConnect app icon.
- Slide the AnyConnect VPN switch from On to Off.