Topics Map > Infrastructure > Network > Guest Wireless
What is the UIC Guest Wireless Policy?
Guest access to the UIC wireless network is provided as a service to visitors to the UIC campus. For information on how to obtain access to the guest network, see Guest Wireless at UIC. All persons requesting guest wireless access must read and agree to these policies. Failure to abide by these policies will result in a loss of wireless network access. The use of Guest Wireless access at UIC for illegal purposes is prohibited and violators will be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.
1. Members of the UIC community (students, faculty and staff) are prohibited from using guest credentials on their devices. Use of guest credential by members of the UIC community will result in the automatic removal of all wireless privileges.
2. A bandwidth usage limit is in place for everyone that uses the wireless system. Exceeding the bandwidth usage limit will cause the account to be automatically suspended. (See Usage Policy for UIC Wireless and Res-Net Networks for more information.)
3. All guests are responsible for the security of their machines. Any device exhibiting behavior indicative of being compromised will be automatically removed from the network.
4. Use of file-sharing/downloading programs by guest wireless users is specifically prohibited and will cause access to be terminated. To avoid termination of guest access, please make sure that all file-sharing programs are disabled. Guest accounts terminated for file-sharing will not be reactivated.
5. Attempts to circumnavigate security controls will result in the permanent loss of network access on campus.
6. In addition, guest users of wireless are responsible for abiding by all other applicable Technology Solutions policies, including:
Failure to abide by these policies will result in a loss of wireless network access. The use of Guest Wireless access for illegal purposes is prohibited and violators will be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.
For information on how to obtain access to the guest network, see Guest Wireless at UIC.