NetID Claim, How to Claim for Students
The following instructions will explain how new students can claim their NetID
In order to claim your NetID, you will need your UIN and activation code given to you by University Admissions or the Graduate College.
- Undergraduate students: After you have accepted your admission in MyIllini, you can then find your activation code in your admitted student checklist.
- Graduate students: Log in to the Graduate College application status page , and find your UIN and activation code in your admission letter.
- University Affiliates: Contact the Technology Services Help Desk to obtain information on retrieving your UIN and activation code.
NOTE: Your screens / options will vary slightly based on whether you are an undergraduate, graduate student, or affiliate.
- The website to claim your NetID can be found at https://netidclaim.illinois.edu
- Enter your UIN and click "continue"
- Enter your activation code.
You may be prompted to use your NetID recovery options if you have set them before.
Graduate and Undergraduate Students
- You will now be asked to set your recovery options in the event that you forget or need to reset your password. Once you have finished entering at least one password recovery option, click on "Continue".
- You will now be asked to set your password. As you type your desired password, green check marks will indicate that your password meets the security requirements (Identity Management, Requirements for Acceptable Passwords ).
- The final screen will confirm that you have successfully completed the NetID claim process. Grad students will need to also set up 2-factor authentication at the NetID Center in order to access your email account.