Common Printer Issues (Troubleshooting)
Cannot Connect to Printer (Network Issues)
- Ensure you are connected to IllinoisNet (printing will not work from eduroam or IllinoisNet_Guest)
- You can connect wirelessly on IllinoisNet or wired + Illinois VPN, unless it's an iSchool machine plugged into an iSchool port, in which case you don't need the VPN.
- Once you've established a connection to IllinoisNet, test printing again.
- If you still can't print, reinstall the printer using the instructions below:
- Navigate to System Settings, then click Printers & Scanners.
- Select the printer you wish to delete, then click Remove Printer.
- Follow the instructions on the page Printer Set-up for Mac to reinstall the printer drivers.
- When asked to enter a printer name, input the URL smb://ischoolprint.ad.uillinois.edu/printername instead of just the printer name.
- Furthermore, when asked about encryption for some Macs, type ?encryption=no.
- Navigate to your Settings, then click Bluetooth & devices on the left side of the window.
- Click on Printers & scanners.
- Select the printer in question and click Remove near the top right corner of the window.
- Follow the steps listed on the KB article Printer Set-up for Windows to finish reinstalling the drivers.
Troubleshooting Procedures for Macs
PDF Will Not Print in Preview App (Mac)
A workaround for this issue is opening the PDF in Adobe Acrobat Reader, then printing from there.
Oftentimes the root of Mac printing issues relates to the keychain. An incorrect password is typed and saved or someone changes their UIUC password and the computer repeatedly tries to print with the wrong credentials. If you try to print and see "Hold for Authentication" without a prompt for credentials, a keychain issue is one possibility. Open Keychain Access (you can search for it in the launchpad), then look for any items that include printer names or "ischoolprint" and delete them. After this, restart your device and try again. Hopefully at this point you will see a pop-up asking for your credentials. Enter in your NetID and current UIUC password.
If Keychain Access won't let you delete the printer names or ischoolprint, double-click on the Keychain entry in question to open it, then navigate to the Access Control tab. Select the option Ask for Keychain password. This will prompt the user to input their laptop username and password. This should then pop up with the NetID credentials prompt when you try to print. Do NOT save your NetID and password.
Troubleshooting Procedures for PCs
Are the Printers Online?
Under Devices and Printers, look if the printers are grayed out or not. If they are grayed out, they are offline. Check the credential manager and redo your username and password.
Can you connect to the PRINT server?
If you get an error message that says "Cannot connect" or if you can't find any printers when you click Browse, the computer likely isn't connecting to the Print Server.
- See if you can connect to the PRINT server (press Windows + r, type in \\ischoolprint.ad.ullinois.edu). You can also navigate there by searching for "Run" in the Windows search bar. If it doesn't even get to a point where it asks for credentials, it's possible that a) the wrong credentials are stored or b) either network settings or an antivirus/firewall program are messing it up.
- For a) if it doesn't prompt you to enter your credentials, it probably means a bad password is stored. You can take a look at credential manager and see if they're stored there.
- For b) look at what programs are currently running.
- Norton Live Security is one example, but there are others.
- If you are using any firewall options, you may need to turn them off.
- If the antivirus program you are using is expired, you may need to uninstall it.
- Also check to see if you have anything filled in for default IP address or DNS settings. Follow the instructions here for that. If you do, reset these settings to automatic.
- If you are asked for credentials but that still doesn't work:
- Make sure the username is UOFI\netID
- Make sure you are using your UIUC password by going to Canvas or your UIUC Outlook account and logging in (type out the password, not use any auto-fill passwords).
- Make sure to store the credentials.
- If the print server is connected and you can install other printers but not the one you'd like, look in Print Management and delete the problematic driver. Then, install the printer again. TechJourney.net provides detailed instructions on how to do this.
Other Common Printer Issues
Cannot Connect to Servers
One issue some people have encountered is the inability to connect to the servers that manage our printer drivers. Unfortunately there is no easy solution to this issue, so we recommend contacting us over at the Help Desk directly!
Check to make sure you are using the correct credentials. You should be signing in with your university-issued NetID and password. Make sure you are using the correct NetID and password by logging into a different university website with your NetID and password.
If all else fails, PaperCut is always an option! View this link for more details: Printing Cost, Quota, and PaperCut
One common error we've encountered with Luna in 614 E. Daniel is the machine printing out the error message (ERROR: syntaxerror). This happens when the user is attempting to print PDFs through Preview. To resolve this issue, opening the document via Adobe Reader and printing it from there.
Note on USB Printing
Students cannot print via putting their USB drives into the printer, as there is no way to identify who is using the printer via PaperCut.
[Doc 130271 content is unavailable at this time.]