eLearning: Course Gallery - Kaltura at Illinois Best Practices
This article identifies the important settings and use case scenarios for the Canvas feature "Course Gallery - Kaltura at Illinois" for instructors.
Use Case Scenarios
|You want students to share their videos to peers in the class without approval from you, and they would not be graded. This is useful for introduction or social videos in large courses where approving videos would take more time.||"Course Gallery - Kaltura at Illinois" with the "Moderate content" box unchecked.|
|You want to make sure that the content is appropriate before it gets posted to your class, and they would not be graded. This is useful for introduction or social videos in smaller courses where there is a culture of trust.||"Course Gallery - Kaltura at Illinois" with the "Moderate content" box checked.|
|You want to grade student videos, but not have them be visible to the rest of the students.||"Assignment" with instructions for students to embed their videos via Kaltura. Here are instructions on how to do that: Kaltura, Add a video to Canvas.|
|You want to grade student videos, but still have them be visible to the rest of the students. You might also want students to comment on their peers' videos.||"Forum" with grading enabled.|
Disable Course Gallery - Kaltura at Illinois
If you do not wish to use this feature, you can hide it via the Navigation menu in your course settings. Don't forget to click "Save" at the bottom.
Using the Course Gallery
For setup to allow students post videos in your course, please follow these instructions:
- To set the "Course Gallery" permissions, click the "Channel Actions" button on the right and select "Edit".
The following are available channel settings:
- Moderate content - if you wish to manually approve student-uploaded videos before they are uploaded to the course.
- Enable comments in Media Gallery - will allow student comments on media.
- Keep comments private to Media Gallery - if you enable comments in the Media Gallery, consider checking this box to ensure that student comments are not visible outside the course.
- Display embedded media in this Media Gallery - if you embed Kaltura videos in other locations of your course, they will show up in the Course Gallery.
- Note: you can skip adding a Description here, because it will not be visible to students. If you wish to add instructions on how students should utilize the "Course Gallery", please include those separately, in a Page.
- After setting your preferences, click "Save".
- If you want to split up the "Course Gallery" into different playlists for various topics/projects, click the "Channel Actions" button on the right, select "Create channel playlist", and title it. You will be able to move new and existing media into it.
- To view pending videos, check the tabs in the Media Gallery. You will be able to "Approve" or "Reject" videos as necessary.
- If you want to view the analytics of the videos, click the "Channel Actions" button on the right and select "Analytics". The analytics include the following data: top videos, top viewers, top countries, category performance over time, devices overview, and top domains.
For More Information
- Kaltura, Integration with Canvas
- Kaltura, Add a video to Canvas
- Canvas@Illinois , Students, How to Submit a Video
- If you have questions about how you can use the Course Gallery in your Engineering course, please reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- If you have technical problems with the Course Gallery, please reach out to Technology Services at email@example.com.