Topics Map > Engineering Workstations (EWS)
Topics Map > Instructional Services
EWS Labs, How do I get an EWS account?
Information on EWS accounts
EWS Accounts allow the use of EWS Labs, FastX, and Citrix.
Engineering at Illinois Students
Students in a degree program in Engineering at Illinois, or a program that has a partnership with Engineering at Illinois, will automatically be given an EWS account as long as they are enrolled in at least one course for the current term. Those degree programs include:
- Engineering at Illinois degree programs (Aerospace Engineering; Bioengineering; Civil and Environmental Engineering; Computer Science; Electrical and Computer Engineering; Industrial and Enterprise Systems Engineering; Materials Science Engineering; Mechanical Science and Engineering; Nuclear, Plasma, and Radiological Engineering; and Engineering Physics.
- Masters in Financial Engineering (MSFE)
- Computer Science + X degrees
- Chemical Engineering (CHBE in the College of LAS)
- Agricultural Engineering (ABE in the College of ACES)
- LAS Physics
Students enrolled in one of the above degree programs will automatically be provisioned an EWS account and home directory as long as they are registered for classes during the current term. The EWS account allows students to access their home directory and to use EWS Labs, FastX, and Citrix.
When students in these programs leave the university, either through graduation or by other means, their EWS account will be deactivated and home directory removed from the EWS storage system. Files in the home directory cannot be restored once they have been removed. The removal will take place in between semester transitions based on the schedule below:
- Fall to Spring: January 1
- Spring to Summer: June 1
- Summer to Fall: August 11
Before leaving the university, students should copy all the files that they need from their home directory before the above dates.
Students enrolled in other colleges
Students enrolled in degree programs outside of Engineering (those not listed above) will be automatically provisioned an EWS account with a home directory while they are registered for at least one Engineering course. When the course ends, this course-based EWS account will be deactivated and access to the home directory will be terminated. Students should copy all files they need from their home directory before the last day of teh semester.
Faculty/Staff who have a current appointment with an Engineering at Illinois unit will automatically be provisioned an EWS account. This account is intended to support the instructional mission of the College of Engineering; please note that the terms of our software licenses prohibit the use of EWS labs for research purposes.