Identity Management, Guests, What is a Sponsored NetID and what access do I get?
I've been told I need to be sponsored to have access to services. What do I need to do and what can I access?
- Visiting Scholars
- People on approved leave of absence
- Other affiliates that work in some capacity with the University
Being sponsored by a department allows access to the following:
- Some Library Resources
- Email (if your department had requested it)
Please note if you are unable to login to a particular application, that application may have a particular list of approved users that isn't covered by a sponsored account.
If you already have a NetID, your department can send a request to the Tech Services Help Desk via an @illinois.edu account . They must have the following on the request:
- Your UIN
- Your full name
- Terminate date (when the guest's visit is expected to end, up to 1 year)
- NetID of sponsor or proxy (if different from sponsor)
This document can be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
To Renew Sponsorship: Provide these same details, and we will renew for up to 1 year.
If you do NOT have a NetID, there are extra steps that can be found here: Identity Mangement, Guests, Requesting a Long Term (sponsored) Guest NetID