Topics Map > Communication and Collaboration > Kaltura
Kaltura, Channel settings
How to edit channel settings
How to set or edit channel settings
1. In the header bar for the channel, under the Media Space orange menu, you will see an icon with 3 horizontal bars. This is the control menu for the channel. From this menu you can edit the settings and membership of the channel, set the thumbnail for the channel, and view analytics. We will only cover the channel settings here.Select the menu icon and then select Edit
2. From the Details tab
- you can rename the channel and add additional description to make the channel easier to locate in a search. You can also include links to other locations in the description. A description is required.
- you can edit the Privacy of the channel
- Open: anyone logged into Media Space can see the content in the channel and add to it
- Restricted: anyone with a netid can see the content when logged in, but only specific netids you specify can add media. (This is a very common channel setting)
- Private: only specifics netids can see the content and add to the channel. The ability to add media is based the Members setting below. (This is also very common, often for course channels) You can add the netids individually or contact the Kaltura admins to do bulk additions.
- Shared Repository: Very similar to Restricted channels. We don't recommend using this setting.
- Public: All content can be viewed by anyone, whether they are logged into Media Space or not. This is truly public so be careful using this setting. This setting also allows students to post media to the world. Public channels can also be attached to an existing Unit or College gallery, a useful tool for organizing content by topic. More on public channels
- you can set options for the channel
- Moderate content: the channel manager or moderator must approve all content from contributors. This can become tedious to approve all content, so consider the use case before selecting this.
- Enable comments in channel: allows all logged in users to comment on media in the channel
- Keep comments private to channel: we recommend selecting this if media is in more than one channel. This keeps comments specific to the channel using the media.
- Enable subscription: this isn't very useful. A user doesn't receive notifications with the subscription, subscribing just adds another filter to My Channels.
Make sure to SAVE changes.
3. Playlists TabThe Playlists tab is different than a user creating a playlist. The channel playlist allows a channel manager to group media by topic or time period (week 1, week 2, etc). The Playlist appear in the channel listing. Channel Playlists are covered in this article.
4. Members tabThe Members tab is where you set permissions and add user netids. You can only add one netid at a time. When you add a netid, or if you want to change permissions, the settings are:
- Member: a channel member can view content and that is all. No commenting
- Contributor: a channel member can add content and make comments. We recommend this as the default setting for channels.
- Moderator: a moderator can approve content held for moderation, and contribute content.
- Manager: a manager can add and remove content; edit the settings for the channel; and view analytics.
- Owner: there can only be one owner of a channel, this is the creator of the channel by default.
What does the error "User does not exist" mean?
If you see an error message that the user does not exist, it could mean one of two things.
- If the person has never logged into Illinois Media Space, you will receive this message. The person must login to Illinois Media Space at least once, in order for them to have an account in Illinois Media Space.
- The username is incorrect.
For Illinois Media Space a user’s username is their netID (the part of their university email preceding the @ symbol). If a whole email address or a UIN is used, it will generate a “User does not exist” error.If you see this error, you have 2 options:
1. Ask the user to log in to Media Space and add them later.2. Contact the Kaltura admins. Include the url of the channel and the netids of anyone that you could not add.