Topics Map > Communication and Collaboration
IT Pros, Mailing lists, tools, and regular events for campus IT professionals
These mailing lists, conferences, and workshops may be of interest to campus IT professionals.
Conferences and events
- The IT Pro Forum takes place twice a year in Urbana and once a year in Chicago.
- The U of I Web Conference takes place once a year in Urbana.
- The IT Pro Caffeine Break series takes place every week at 9 am Friday at rotating locations around campus. Weekly details are sent to CCSP and to the Caffeine Break mailing list (described below).
- Video captured from these events is stored in the Campus IT Pro Videos channel (login required for access).
- The Recurring meetings of interest to the campus IT community wiki page contains several monthly or biweekly events for groups including accessibility liaisons, cybersecurity liaisons, web hosting customers, and more. You can find opportunities there and/or add your own.
To subscribe to most of these mailing lists:
- Visit https://lists.illinois.edu/lists and use the Campus Login button.
- Search for the name of the list you'd like to join with the Search for Lists icon. (You may need to scroll down for this button to appear.)
(Alternatively, you may be able send a blank email message to firstname.lastname@example.org. The subject line of your message should be formatted as: subscribe listname Firstname Lastname. However, problems have recently been reported with this method.)
- Campus Computer Support Professionals
The largest campus mailing list for IT professionals, with active daily discussion on campus topics. (Special list security: Send an email to email@example.com to ask for CCSP subscription approval.)
- Subscribers can view and search archives at https://lists.illinois.edu/lists/arc/ccsp
- Privileged list owners can configure and manage archives.
- Want the IT news but not the conversations? The Tech Support mailing list (list name: techsupport) is for announcements to the campus IT community. CCSP is a subscriber of Tech Support, meaning that if you're on CCSP, you don't also need to subscribe to Tech Support separately. However, if you find CCSP is too high-volume for you, you can get the highlights reel by subscribing to Tech Support without CCSP. An archive to Technology Services' messages to Tech Support are available on the Tech Services IT Staff Resource Guide web page.
- System-specific mailing lists:
- Mobile Computing (list name: mobilecomputing)
Periodic discussion of topics related to mobile devices, tablets, and phones.
- System management-related: mobile-device-management
- Mac Administration at Illinois (list name: macadmins)
All things Mac-related.
- System management-related: munki-announce
- Windows 10 Support (list name: tenprosupport)
Discussions of Windows 10 campus adoption, migration, and updates.
- MECM Endpoint Management (email firstname.lastname@example.org to join the list)
A list for communications from the MECM team and discussion of MECM implementation on campus.
- Topic-specific mailing lists:
- Caffeine Break (list name: caffeinebreak)
Once-weekly information about that week's Friday morning Caffeine Break seminar series, for those who may be interested in the topics without the volume of the full CCSP mailing list.
- Illinois Webmasters (list name: webmasters)
Discussions of web-related content and development issues, workshop announcements, and more. Moderate volume.
- Web Accessibility In-Depth Discussion (list name: accessibility)
Discussions, announcements, and workshops relating to improving IT accessibility. Light volume.
- Campus Computer Lab Discussion List (list name: labmasters-l)
Discussions, announcements, and tours of campus learning spaces. Light volume.
- Women in Technology (list name: wit)
A collaborative discussion space for women in technology at the University of Illinois.
- AV Pros (list name: av-pros)
A list for the discussion of AV (and surrounding topics) by campus AV & IT professionals.
- Campus Knowledge Base administrators (list name: uofi-kb-admins )
Discussion among groups and departments with Knowledge Base (answers.uillinois.edu) spaces
- Illinois Higher Ed Tableau Users Group (subscribe at https://lists.aits.uillinois.edu/lists/info/ihetug)
A mailing list for Tableau software users.
- Printing (list names: email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org)
Information about the Printing for Departments service. Email email@example.com to join.
- Research Support Community (list name: research-support-community)
A campus-wide network of professionals from many domains dedicated to connecting researchers with the people and tools they need across organizational boundaries.
- Security and Privacy Community (list name: ps-techliaisons)
Event announcements and discussions about IT security and privacy related topics.
- IT Security (list name: it-security)
Also a security-related mailing list.
- More campus computing-related mailing lists are available at https://lists.illinois.edu/lists/lists/computing .
Teams and chat groups
Request for Help Desk Tools Access
Please see Help Desk, Help Desk Tools Access Program