VPN, CISCO AnyConnect, Error message "The feature you are trying to use is on a network resource that is unavailable"
When attempting to install the VPN client on Windows, the following error message may result: "The feature you are trying to use is on a network resource that is unavailable." A dialog box is presented for specifying a different location.
This error can be the result of incorrect registry clean up from a previous version of the AnyConnect software being installed.
Microsoft has released a Program Install and Uninstall Troubleshooter that can look for problems in the registry and correct them, allowing the next installation to succeed. To use this tool to attempt a fix:
- Download the application linked above from the Microsoft support website.
- Launch the application
- When you launch it, it will ask if you are having a problem with installation on uninstallation. Click installation.
- It will present you with a list of things you might be having problems with. Find "Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client" in the list and select it.
- After a bit it should say it has fixed the problem.
- Exit out of the application following it's instructions.
- Run the AnyConnect installer and let it install the VPN software.