Client Services Support, AITS VPN (Mac)
If you have been granted access to the AITS VPN, these instructions will allow you to set up the VPN connection on a non-university owned Mac. (This article is intended for employees supported by Client Services Support)
VPN configuration for macOS 13 Ventura (and newer)
- Open System Settings and select Network from the left panel.
- Select the … dot menu from the corner, VPN Configuration from the dropdown menu, and lastly select IKEv2
- Configure the settings as shown. For the Urbana VPN, the server address and Remote ID will both be aitsras1.aits.uillinois.edu. Under Authentication, set the type to Username, use your NetID as the username, and input your password in the designated field. Select Create to finalize the setup process.
4. For Chicago VPN, perform the same steps, but input aitsras2.aits.uillinois.edu in both the Server Address and Remote ID fields.
Connecting VPN in macOS 13 Ventura (and newer)
- From the System Settings/VPN menu, toggle the desired VPN button as shown. You can also use the menu bar option to connect.
- Check the DUO app for permission to connect, and after approval connectivity will be established.
VPN configuration for macOS 12 Monterey (and older)
- Open System Preferences from either the dock or the Apple dropdown menu.
- From the System Preferences menu, select the blue Network globe
- Select the plus symbol (+) from the bottom left of the Network window.
- From the interface dropdown, select VPN. Set the VPN type to IKEv2 and the Service Name to Urbana VPN (IKEv2).
- With the VPN selected on the left panel, set the Service Address and Remote ID to aitsras1.aits.uillinois.edu, then click Apply.
- For Chicago VPN, repeat these steps but label the Service Name Chicago VPN (IKEv2) and set the Server Address and Remote ID to aitsras2.aits.uillinois.edu.