Remote Desktop, Enabling and using the Remote Desktop Gateway
I need to use the Remote Deskop Gateway, how do I get started?
1) Enabling Remote Desktop on your Windows machine: Networking, Remote Desktop Gateway Service, Configuring Windows To Allow Remote Connections
2) Configuring the Remote Desktop Gateway on your Windows and Mac OS X machine: http://go.illinois.edu/rdpgateway-config. On Windows 7 or greater computers, you can download a pre-configured RDP file from http://go.illinois.edu/rdpgateway
A few things to note:
- If you are restricting Remote Desktop access by IP address, you'll need to allow incoming connections from the IP addresses of the Remote Desktop Gateway servers:
- 188.8.131.52/28 (As of June 13, 2023 this will change to 184.108.40.206/28)
- Some Departments may manage these settings. If you encounter any difficulty configuring Remote Desktop, contact your local IT Pro
- If your off-campus computer is not running Windows, you will need to use a supported Microsoft RDP client that supports using a Remote Desktop Gateway server. Configure it to use server name: rdpgateway.illinois.edu and select either "prompt for authentication" or enter your credentials.