Technology Services, Virtual Private Networking (VPN) Changelog
This page contains information about Virtual Private Networking (VPN) and will be updated following changes that may require modifications to customer behavior, procedures, or expectations.
- 7/21/2020 - ongoing Documentation updates started to change references to vpn.cites.illinois.edu over to vpn.illinois.edu
- 5/19/2022 - New SSL certificate installed.
- 5/6/2022 - Updated documentation to reflect a workaround to the recently found issue where the AnyConnect Socket filter exercises a Mac OS bug if Crowdstrike (or any other) Socket Filter) is installed. Uninstall the "Cisco AnyConnect Socket Filter.app".
- 12/22/2022 - VPN Client offered on vpn servers is now 4.10.04065. This provides bug fixes and better support for newer OS versions. Will be added to the webstore soon.
- 11/01/2021 - VPN profiles/groups configured to no longer provide WINS server addresses. The Tech Services WINS server were retired on this same date.
- 08/08/2021 - Split-Tunnel Profiles configured to allow local LAN access if the user checks that option in their VPN preferences. Among other things, this makes Windows WSL2 much easier to use with the VPN.
- 08/08/2021 - Split-Tunnel Profiles no longer tunnel all IPv6 traffic. They only tunnel IPv6 traffic destined to UIUC, AITS, and NCSA IP spaces.
- 08/06/2021 - VPN Client offered on webstore and vpn servers is now 4.10.01075. This provides security enhancements and bug fixes.
- 07/07-09/2021 - VPN concentrator upgrade.
- 06/09/2021 - New SSL certificate installed.
- 02/03/2021 - DUO prompt on 2FA profiles updated to be more specific. Prompt now reads: "DUO Passcode or type 'push', 'sms', or 'phone':"
- 12/23/2020 - VPN client offered on webstore and vpn servers is now 4.9.04053. This provides security patches and improved Mac OS 11 support over the earlier 4.9 versions
- 12/22-23/2020 - VPN server software upgrade (completed on a rolling phase in, so customers were not disconnected)
- 11/19/2020 - The VPN client will no longer provide the default option to connect to "vpn4g-1 (IPSec)". Instead, it will provide the option to connect to vpn.illinois.edu.
- 10/22/2020 The VPN client offered on webstore and the vpn servers was updated to 4.9 versions to support Big Sur on Mac and fix a security issue on Windows
- 8/11/2020 - 2FA IP ranges will be migrated to RFC 1918 space (private IPs) as announced in March.
- On campus the IP addresses will change to RFC 1918 space addresses.
- From off-campus the addresses will not appear to change, as we will use the current public addresses for the NAT pool
- Details of what the addresses are can be found at the bottom of this KB article: https://answers.uillinois.edu/47572
- 8/11/2020 - DNS host record for IPv6 addresses will be removed (the IPv6 addresses will no longer resolve to a name)
- 6/25/2020 - Load balancing for VPN will move from the legacy GSLB service to the new DTC service.
- There are no changes needed by customers.
- 6/6/2020 - vpn.illinois.edu was enabled
- This works exactly like vpn.cites.illinois.edu. There is not a plan to make vpn.cites.illinois.edu stop working.
- June 18, 2020 - VPN servers will begin offering Cisco AnyConnect version 4.8.03052 to everyone that connects. This version has better support for Mac OS Catalina, as well as a number of bug fixes for all OSs. EPM and Webstore will also offer this version. This is not a required upgrade, customers can choose to defer it, but it will be offered each time they connect.
- May 20-22, 2020 VPN server versions were upgraded
- March 2020
- VPN IP pools were expanded with the use of RFC 1918 space and NAT
- 4th VPN server was added
- VPN load balancing was adjusted
- VPN certificates were replaced before they expired