Technology Services, Virtual Private Networking (VPN) Changelog
This page contains information about Virtual Private Networking (VPN) and will be updated following changes that may require modifications to customer behavior, procedures, or expectations.
- 7/21/2020 Documentation updates started to change references to vpn.cites.illinois.edu over to vpn.illinois.edu
- 8/11/2020 - 2FA IP ranges will be migrated to RFC 1918 space (private IPs) as announced in March.
- On campus the IP addresses will change to RFC 1918 space addresses.
- From off-campus the addresses will not appear to change, as we will use the current public addresses for the NAT pool
- Details of what the addresses are can be found at the bottom of this KB article: https://answers.uillinois.edu/47572
- 8/11/2020 - DNS host record for IPv6 addresses will be removed (the IPv6 addresses will no longer resolve to a name)
- 6/25/2020 - Load balancing for VPN will move from the legacy GSLB service to the new DTC service.
- There are no changes needed by customers.
- 6/6/2020 - vpn.illinois.edu was enabled
- This works exactly like vpn.cites.illinois.edu. There is not a plan to make vpn.cites.illinois.edu stop working.
- June 18, 2020 - VPN servers will begin offering Cisco AnyConnect version 4.8.03052 to everyone that connects. This version has better support for Mac OS Catalina, as well as a number of bug fixes for all OSs. EPM and Webstore will also offer this version. This is not a required upgrade, customers can choose to defer it, but it will be offered each time they connect.
- May 20-22, 2020 VPN server versions were upgraded
- March 2020
- VPN IP pools were expanded with the use of RFC 1918 space and NAT
- 4th VPN server was added
- VPN load balancing was adjusted
- VPN certificates were replaced before they expired