Endpoint Services, MECM, Unified Acrobat DC/Acrobat Reader DC Installer
Endpoint Services-specific information about Adobe's unified installer for Acrobat DC/Acrobat Reader DC
Microsoft Endpoint Configuration Manager (MECM)
University of Illinois IT Pros leveraging MECM, hosted by Technology Services Endpoint Services team
- General Information
- Acrobat Installer Behaviors
- Deployment Recommendations
- Configuration Item/Baseline
Adobe recently switched to a “unified” installer for Acrobat DC and Acrobat Reader DC in version 22.001.20142 (https://www.adobe.com/devnet-docs/acrobatetk/tools/DesktopDeployment/singleinstaller.html).
Some of the more notable implications of this new installer are:
- Acrobat DC and Acrobat Reader DC 64-bit are combined into a single product/installer.
- Acrobat Reader DC 32-bit is no longer compatible with Acrobat DC 64-bit and they cannot coexist on the same system
- Acrobat DC is now a true 64-bit application and installs to C:\Program Files
Endpoint Services (EPS) made changes to account for this new unified installer in Acrobat DC version 22.001.20169. EPS will continue to provide the Reader DC 32-bit application, though we encourage departments to switch to Acrobat DC NU/SDL 64-bit where possible.
Acrobat DC behaves differently depending upon the type of Acrobat installer deployed via MECM. The “unified” installer is not available for Acrobat DC SDL. For additional information on the differences between a Named User License (NU) and Shared Device License (SDL), please refer to WebStore's KB article.
EPS provides three different types of installers for Adobe Acrobat DC:
|Installer Type||Acrobat Behavior|
|Acrobat DC SDL||
|Acrobat DC NU||
|Acrobat DC NU Unified||
Below are Endpoint Services' deployment recommendations for Acrobat DC/Acrobat Reader DC for devices in different scenarios.
Adobe's official product upgrade matrix is available here.
|Currently Installed Product(s):||Recommendation:|
|Acrobat DC SDL||
|Acrobat DC NU||
|Acrobat Reader DC||
|Acrobat DC SDL & Acrobat Reader DC||
|Acrobat DC NU & Acrobat Reader DC||
To assist IT units in identifying machines with Acrobat DC SDL already installed, EPS has created a Configuration Item and Configuration Baseline to audit the presence of an Adobe Shared Device License (SDL) installation. The Configuration Baseline is named 'Audit Adobe SDL' and it can be found within the MECM console under “\Assets and Compliance\Overview\Compliance Settings\Configuration Baselines”. 'Audit Adobe SDL' will flag endpoints that have an Adobe Creative Cloud Shared Device License installed as compliant.
To deploy the Configuration Item/Baseline:
- In the MECM console, navigate to \Assets and Compliance\Overview\Compliance Settings\Configuration Baselines
- Select the 'Audit Adobe SDL' configuration baseline
- Select 'Deploy' from the top ribbon
- In the 'Deploy Configuration Baseline' dialog box, select the collection to run this configuration baseline on
- Select 'OK'
To assist IT units with targeting the appropriate machines with Acrobat DC deployments (avoiding the deployment of NU Unified installers to devices with SDL installed, etc.), device collections can be created based upon an endpoint's compliance status with the 'Audit Adobe SDL' Configuration Baseline, specifically whether it has an Adobe Creative Cloud Shared Device License installed.
To create a device collection based on the 'Audit Adobe SDL' Configuration Baseline:
- Deploy the 'Audit Adobe SDL' Configuration Baseline to a collection as outlined in the Configuration Item/Baseline section above.
- Right-click the baseline deployment, select Create New Collection, and either Compliant or Non-Compliant. Compliant will populate the collection with devices that have an Adobe SDL license file installed. Non-compliant will populate the collection with devices that do not have an Adobe SDL license file installed.
- Modify the new collection name as desired (ideally including your unit prefix) and set the limiting collection.
- The new device collection will be created at the root of \Assets and Compliance\Overview\Device Collections