Topics Map > Teaching and Learning
ProctorU Record+, Information for Students
Record+ is an automated proctoring service that allows students to take exams online through Canvas or Moodle without an instructor present. The service authenticates your identity, as well as monitors and records your computer screen, microphone input and the video from your webcam. There is no fee for students to use Record+, and you don’t schedule an exam time.
ProctorU’s Record+ Documentation
- Five Steps to Success (PDF)
- 4 Myth-busters
- Student Bill of Rights
- Compliance Statement on Security and Accessibility concerns.
- What to expect on Exam Day.
Prepare for the Exam
- Create a ProctorU Test-Taker account. Be sure to use your Illinois email address.
- Download and install ProctorU’s Guardian Browser onto your Windows or Mac computer. Mac users have additional required system preferences to set.
- Guardian Browser is not compatible with Chromebooks, and you can no longer use the previous browser extension in Chrome or Firefox. You may remove the extension.
- Please review the equipment requirements and test your equipment in advance.
- If you require DRES accommodations, including extended test-taking time, notify your instructor immediately. They must grant you an accommodation in the ProctorU system at least 24 hours prior to taking the exam but may require longer.
You need to be the administrator on the computer you are using or have the administrator install Guardian browser on the computer and give it access to record the computer desktop along with the audio and video from your microphone and camera. A computer provided by your employer may have security settings that interfere.
Watch this Best Practices video.
Take the Exam
Take the exam alone and in a quiet place, unless directed otherwise by your instructor.
You will need to show photo ID to begin the exam.
Restart your computer. Close all applications except Guardian browser and any additional resources permitted by your instructor.
Using the Guardian web browser, navigate to your exam in Canvas
- You do not need an appointment and cannot access the exam from ProctorU’s website.Sign into Canvas (https://canvas.illinois.edu/), Moodle (https://learn.illinois.edu/) or the appropriate learning management system as directed by your instructor. You must type in the URL. You can’t use Guardian to search for it, like Google.
- Take the exam alone and in a quiet place, unless directed otherwise by your instructor.
- Use the Guardian Browser to locate the exam in Canvas or Moodle and open it there.
- The password should automatically be entered for you. If you are prompted for one, be sure you are using the Guardian browser. If you are, then seek help as directed below.