Topics Map > Networking > Virtual Private Networking (VPN)
VPN, CISCO AnyConnect, Installing the Cisco AnyConnect VPN on Android and Kindle
This page contains links to download and installation instructions for VPN software for Android tablets, smartphones, and ereaders.
University of Illinois students, faculty, and staff can use these directions to set up their Android devices, including some Amazon Kindles, to connect to the Virtual Private Network (VPN).
If you have a guest account, Technology Services recommends IllinoisNet Wireless for on-campus use. The VPN is most useful for off-campus use.
Note: General guidelines below
Because there are so many variations in Android device interfaces,
the specific sequence required for your particular device may not be
described here. University community members can contribute their
specific experiences with their devices at Community-developed VPN configurations.
The images below were taken on Android 4.4.2 KitKat; your interface may vary.
NOTE: The AnyConnect client is not compatible with all Android devices; the Play Store and Kindle Store will inform you if your particular device isn't compatible.
When installing, you'll be prompted to agree to the permissions that AnyConnect needs, including network and phone access.
After you've installed the AnyConnect app on your Android or Kindle, there may be a new AnyConnect icon on your home screen, or you may need to look through All Applications to find it.
(Note that on other operating systems, you may be used to looking under 'Cisco AnyConnect' to find the VPN app; on Android it appears as 'AnyConnect'.)
- Launch the AnyConnect app.
- If prompted with an End User License Agreement (EULA), tap to accept it.
- Tap Add VPN Connection...
- In the Connection Editor, enter the following:
- Description: CITES VPN
- Server address: vpn.cites.illinois.edu
- Tap Done.
This will save the configuration for future use.
- Whenever you want to use the VPN software, tap on it it from your home screen.
(If the Cisco AnyConnect icon isn't visible on your home screen, use All Applications to find it.)
- Under Choose a Connection, select the CITES VPN entry.
- You'll be prompted to enter the following information.
- Group: 1_SplitTunnel_Default
(Note: This is the most common choice. See About VPN Profiles for information about the alternatives, such as Tunnel All for access to library resources.)
- Username: Your NetID
(or, if you're a guest, your guest ID)
- Password: Your Active Directory password
(or, if you're a guest, your guest password)
- Tap OK.
- Group: 1_SplitTunnel_Default
- If asked whether you trust this app to make a VPN connection, check I trust this application and tap OK.
- When you've connected, the On/Off toggle will show as On and the status will say Connected to Tech Services VPN.
At this point, you can return to your Home screen and use your other apps as needed.
When you're done using the VPN connection, disconnect it.
- Tap the Cisco AnyConnect app icon.
- Slide the AnyConnect VPN switch from On to Off.
The Cisco AnyConnect VPN client gathers information that can help you with troubleshooting speed or connectivity issues. It may be helpful to open the Statistics and/or Details screens while troubleshooting with the Help Desk.
To open the Statistics window:
- Click the app menu icon.
- Click Statistics.
The Details button at the bottom of the Statistics screen provides additional connection information.
For more help, contact the Help Desk.