Email, Spam Control, Understanding Your Digest
This page explains how to read your Spam Control daily digest.
What is the daily digest?
The daily digest lists all spam messages caught and placed into Quarantine based on your spam policy. There are two digests: a daily digest (24 hours) or full digest (10 days). You can access the digest in the following ways:
- Receive a daily digest via email from firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Request a daily or full digest from: https://spam-control.illinois.edu/.
- Click "Request a digest",
- Log in with your Campus ID and password
- Select a digest
- Click "Send daily digest now!" to receive an email with suspect email from yesterday
- or Click "Send full digest now! to receive the digest for the past 10 days.
Afterward, you will receive an email with links to the individual emails and spam control management options.
- A summary of your spam control settings: Email, Spam Control, Spam Control FAQ
- Change your Spam Control Policy: Email, Spam Control, How to change Personal Spam Policies
The daily digest also contains links that allow you to manage your Spam Control preferences. See the FAQ referenced above for details.
Understanding your daily digest
The lower half of the digest shows your Quarantine, listing all spam messages caught in the preceding 24 hours. Notice that for each message, the digest lists the spam score, the sender, subject, and date.
You can click on the Release link beside any message you think might be legitimate. The message will be sent to your mailbox within a few minutes. The message will also go through whatever other filters are active along the way and may possibly come through in the Junk box of your email reader.
If you are sure a message is legitimate, click on the Safelist link to release the message to your mailbox and add the sender to your Personal Safe Senders List so that future messages are not identified as spam.
In the center of the daily digest are four links that perform certain tasks:
- Request FULL Digest
Clicking on this link will send you a digest listing all messages quarantined in the preceding 10 days. Messages older than 10 days are deleted automatically.
- Request Safe / Blocked Senders List
This lets you request a listing of all the addresses you've indicated are safe to receive email from, and those from which you want messages blocked.
- Manage My Options
This is where you go to select or make changes to your Personal Spam Policy or daily digest settings.