Topics Map > Communication and Collaboration > Google Apps @ Illinois
Email, Google Apps @ Illinois, Resolving Conflicting Accounts
This article applies to everyone who has a Google Apps account.Instructions for resolving a personal Google account that conflicts with an Google Apps @ Illinois account.
OverviewA conflicting account is a personal Google Account with the same username as your Google Apps @ Illinois account (NetID@illinois.edu). Typically a conflict occurs when an Illinois faculty, staff, or student has first created a personal Google account using their NetID@illinois.edu address, then later enrolls for the Google Apps @ Illinois service.
When the University of Illinois signed their agreement with Google to use Google Apps for Education, it gained the right to institutionalize all @illinois.edu Google accounts. As a result, conflicts with personal accounts must be resolved by changing the email address associated with the personal account. During the conflict resolution process, you'll have the option to either create a new Gmail address for your personal account, or use a personal email account other than your NetID@illinois.edu address.
Resolving A Conflicting Account
If you have an existing account, you can resolve the conflict the first time you log into your personal Google account. This short video shows an overview of the process:
In some cases, you'll be given the option to migrate existing data out of your personal account to your new Google Apps @ Illinois account. However, not all service data can be easily migrated. Any data stored under your personal account that you choose not to migrate will continue to be available under the new personal account name after the conflict is resolved.
For instructions on moving Google Apps data between accounts, see Google's account merge and data move options page.
Steps For Resolving Your Conflicting Account
- Visit www.google.com/accounts and sign in with your personal Google Account.
- Upon first login to your personal Google account, you will see a conflicting account notice. (You can click the "compare your accounts" link to see details on the two conflicting accounts.) Click the "Get Started" button.
- You will be given the option to either attempt a data migration, or rename your personal account. Google does not offer automatic data migration for all Google services, and you will not be able to migrate data for services that are not enabled in the Google Apps @ Illinois domain. Therefore most customers should choose to rename their personal account.
- Click "select a different address for your personal account."
- Choose one of the following options:
- Create an account with a new Gmail.com address. This is appropriate if you do not have a personal email account other than your NetID@illinois.edu account.
- Create an account using a non-Google email address that you already own. This could be a Hotmail or Yahoo address, or any other personal email address other than NetID@illinois.edu.
- Click "Continue" and follow the prompts for the selection you made. When the process completes, you will be able to log into your personal Google account using the new address created in step #5 above.
Google Accounts with @illinois.edu Email Addresses as a Secondary Address
Google allows you to associate secondary addresses with your personal Google account to help facilitate sharing content in different applications. If your NetID@illinois.edu address was previously a secondary address on your personal Google account, it will automatically be removed when you enroll for Google Apps @ Illinois service. All of the content that was previously shared with your NetID@illinois.edu address will continue to be accessible through your personal Google account. New sharing requests will be sent to your Google Apps @ Illinois account.