Endpoint Services, MECM, Install the MECM client on endpoints
Install MECM client on managed endpoints
Microsoft Endpoint Configuration Manager (MECM, formerly SCCM)
University of Illinois IT Pros leveraging MECM, hosted by Technology Services' Endpoint Services team
Deploy the client to on-campus endpoints
Using Client Push via the admin console is the easiest and least troublesome method in 2 steps:
- Place the primary site computer AD object name for your campus into the Administrators group on all endpoints via Group Policy (see the table below for the server list). You can also add a group to the endpoint's Administrators group which contains the above AD object as a member. MECM will recursively look into subgroups to find the computer object for your campus listed above.
AD object name Hostname Campus SCCMUICPS1 SCCMUICPS1.ad.uillinois.edu Chicago SCCMUIUCPS1 SCCMUIUCPS1.ad.uillinois.edu Urbana-Champaign
- Initiate a Client Push to your endpoints via the admin console by following Microsoft's directions.
Deploy the client to off-campus endpoints
- When creating the collection, include your unit prefix when naming the collection (e.g. UIUC-YourUnit-***) and select your unit's all systems collection as the limiting collection
- Select 'Query Rule' from the 'Add Rule' drop-down, include your unit prefix naming the query and select 'Edit Query Statement'
- Select the Criteria tab and the first 'sun' icon to open the 'Criterion Properties' dialog box
- Input the following values
- Criterion type: SubSelected values
- Where: Click 'Select', for 'Attribute class' select 'System Resource', for Attribute select 'Resource ID'
- Operator: 'is in'
- Subselect: select resourceid from SMS_CollectionMemberClientBaselineStatus where SMS_CollectionMemberClientBaselineStatus.CNIsOnInternet = 1
- Click OK to save.
- Criterion type: Simple value
- Where: Click 'Select', for Attribute class select 'System Resource', for Attribute select 'Client Version'
- Operator: 'is less than'
- Value: Click 'Value' and select the largest value, usually at the bottom of the list. Click OK twice to save.
Review these Microsoft articles for additional information on client installation methods:
- https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg712298.aspx covers client-push, group policy, and manual installation
- https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sccm/core/clients/deploy/plan/client-installation-methods covers multiple installation methods
- https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb693546.aspx covers manual installation