Endpoint Services, MECM, Identify Windows Endpoints by Operating System
This article describes methods of identifying Windows endpoints by Operating System using MECM.
Microsoft Endpoint Configuration Manager (MECM), formerly SCCM
University of Illinois IT Pros leveraging MECM, hosted by Technology Services' Endpoint Services team
There are several ways to identify MECM-managed endpoints that are running a specific Operating System. EPS recommends the following
- Within your unit's node, create a new device collection.
- Select the desired limiting collection.
- The limiting collection sets the scope of PCs for MECM to search.
- Navigate to ‘Membership Rules’ --> Add Rule --> Query Rule.
- Select ‘Edit Query Statement’.
- Select 'Show Query Language' and paste in the following:
- select SMS_R_System.ResourceId, SMS_R_System.ResourceType, SMS_R_System.Name, SMS_R_System.SMSUniqueIdentifier, SMS_R_System.ResourceDomainORWorkgroup, SMS_R_System.Client, SMS_R_System.OperatingSystemNameandVersion, SMS_R_System.Build from SMS_R_System where SMS_R_System.OperatingSystemNameandVersion like "%Workstation%" and SMS_R_System.Build like "6.1.%"
- Select ‘Show Query Design’.
- Select the Criteria tab to verify the query is correct.
- Click OK, then complete the wizard.
|Important - When creating a collection, do not check the "Use incremental updates for this collection" box. Collections will update regularly, and can also be manually updated by right-clicking and selecting "Update Membership".|
- Right-click the desired report and select "Create subscription".
- Select a delivery method from the "Report delivered by:" drop-down.
- Fill in the required fields, and any additional fields as desired.
- Select whether to include a link to the report, and/or the report itself from the respective check-boxes.
- Select the desired report format from the "Render Format:" drop-down.
- Click "Next", and configure the schedule as desired.
- Click "Next", and configure the report criteria as prompted.
- Complete the wizard.
|Operating System||Build/Version Number (with Wildcards)||End of Life|
|Windows 7||6.1.%||January 14, 2020|
|Windows 8||6.2.%||January 10, 2023|
|Windows 8.1||6.3.9%||January 10, 2023|
|.Windows 10 1507||10.0.10240.%||May 9, 2017|
|Windows 10 1511||10.0.10586.%||October 10, 2017|
|Windows 10 1607||10.0.14393.%||April 9, 2019|
|Windows 10 1703||10.0.15063.%||October 8, 2019|
|Windows 10 1709||10.0.16299.%||April 14, 2020|
|Windows 10 1803||10.0.17134.%||November 10, 2020|
|Windows 10 1809||10.0.17763.%||May 11, 2021|
|Windows 10 1903||10.0.18362.%||December 8, 2020|
|Windows 10 1909||10.0.18363.%||May 10, 2022|