Learn@Illinois Moodle - Manually Exporting your Course from Moodle to Canvas
Learn how to export a course from the Learn@Illinois Moodle and import this content into Canvas.
For a permanent link to this information, please use: https://go.illinois.edu/MoodleToCanvas
Request your new Canvas space on the Space Request Application
- Illinois Compass 2g, Request a Space for a Registrar-Affiliated Course (Detailed) (uillinois.edu)
- Please include “Canvas” in the Special Instructions area at the end.
- Do not proceed until you have verified that the new Canvas course space is available.
In your Moodle course
- In the upper right corner, click the blue Actions menu gear icon and select Backup from the drop-down menu.
- In Backup settings, uncheck Include enrolled users and any other items you do not want to include, such as calendar events or groups and groupings. Click Next.
- Uncheck the items from the weeks/sections you do not wish to include and click Next.
Note: Some External tools added in Moodle may not be added to Canva.
- Optional: Change the file name to something more recognizable.
- Review the "Backup Settings" and the list of items that will be included in the backup file, then click Perform backup.
- A loading bar will appear on the screen.
- Click the Continue button once it is complete.
- Scroll down to the "User private backup area" to find your file and click Download.
In your Canvas course
- Navigate to the new course shell created earlier.
- On the right-hand menu, click Import Existing Content.
For “Content Type” choose Moodle 1.9/2.x.
- On this page, choose the options you want for your course.
- Click the Source button and navigate to the backup file you downloaded from Moodle and select it.
- Choose if you want to import a question bank or create a new one.
- Choose whether you want to import all content or select specific content.
Note: If you chose to import only select content, the
importer will pause and allow you to select the content you would like
- Choose whether you want to adjust events and due dates.
- Once this is completed, click Import and the import process will begin.