Topics Map > Teaching and Learning > Illinois Compass 2G
Topics Map > Teaching and Learning > Canvas@illinois.edu
Canvas, Request a Space for a Registrar-Affiliated Course (Detailed)
Use this tool to request a registrar-affiliated course space in Canvas.
Important points on requesting a Canvas space:
- You must submit one request per course space you would like to create. You cannot request multiple course sites at one time.
How to Request a Registrar-Affiliated Space
- Go to https://go.illinois.edu/sra
- On the login page, enter your Illinois address and select the Next button.
- Enter your password and select the Sign In button to finish authenticating.
- On the Choose a Space Type page, select the Registrar-Affiliated Space option and select the Next button.
- On the Select Space Owner and Term page, enter the NetID of the owner of the space in the "Space Owner" field
- Note: By default, this is set to display your NetID. If you are requesting a space for another individual, enter that person's NetID in this field.
- In the Term drop down, select the academic term for which you want to use the space. Then select the Next button.
- On the Select Rosters page, you will see rosters listed in the Suggested Rosters table. These rosters are filled with the courses for which the Space Owner is listed as the instructor in Banner for the term selected.
- Select the checkbox next to the Rubric, Number, and Course Title next to any rosters you want connected to your course site (Reminder: Select only the roster(s) that should be connected to this single course site)
- Click the Add to Selected Rosters button. Your roster(s) should now appear in the Selected Rosters table toward the bottom of the page.
- Note: If you do not need to add additional rosters to your course, proceed to step #10.
- If your roster is not listed in the Suggested Rosters table, you can search for it under the Search Rosters section by Rubric (which is required) and the course number:
- Enter the Rubric.
- Optional: Enter the Number.
- Click the Search button. A list of courses related to your search will appear in a table.
- Select the roster or rosters you want to add to the space request by clicking the checkbox next to each title.
- Click the Add to Selected Rosters button. Your roster(s) should now appear in the Selected Course Rosters table toward the bottom of the page.
- Jump to step #10.
NOTE: If you determine that one or more rosters need to be removed from the Selected Rosters table, select the checkboxes next to the courses you would like to remove and then select the Remove from selected rosters button.
- Once you have added all of the rosters you want included in this Space Request, click Next.
- On the Set Space Title page, you will see a default rubric, course title, and section displayed. This will be the title and section information your students see listed on their Canvas Dashboard. If no changes are needed, select the Next button.
- Note: If you would like to change the title or section, you can make changes in the text fields. If you would like to return the settings to their original content, click the Restore Defaults button.
- On the Request Summary and Submission page, you'll see a summary of the request. Review the request to verify that all details are correct, including the term and rosters associated with your course site.
- If you notice an error, you can select the linked text to take you back to that step of the course request to make changes.
- When you are satisfied that your Space Request is accurate and complete, click Submit.
You will now see a Success page. This page contains your request number and a link to the Learning Space Request Status and Edit page. It also informs you that an email has been automatically sent to the Space Requestor and the Space Owner (if they are two different individuals). This email will also include a summary of your request and your request number, which will be useful if you need to check the status or report a problem with your Learning Space Request.
If you wish to request another Canvas Space, click the Request Another Space link and you will return to the beginning page of the request process. If you are finished with your requests for now, click the Logout link.