Email, Your Email Address and the Email Redirection
This page contains information about how to use the Email Redirection service for your Illinois email.
Email RedirectionInbound email to email@example.com can be redirected to your preferred email address.
- University email is delivered without the need to notify senders of a change in email address.
- Email messages sent to firstname.lastname@example.org email address are automatically scanned for viruses and spam by Technology Services Spam Control.
- When you leave the University, you can route your illinois.edu email to your new non-Illinois address for one year.
How to Change Where Your Email Messages Are Delivered
Follow these steps to change where your email messages are delivered.
- Go to the Electronic Directory Editor (EDE).
- Log in to the EDE with your NetID and NetID password.
- Once you have logged in to the EDE, find the mail field and replace the existing email address with your new email
address. Make sure that you type this email address correctly, or you
will not receive your email.
Important: Do not leave this field blank or you will not receive your email!
Important: Do not replace the email address in this field with email@example.com, since "firstname.lastname@example.org" is only an alias for whatever address you have in the email field. If you change it to email@example.com, you will not receive email messages because there is no true destination address at which to deliver your email messages. If you wish to change your email redirection to the University provided student Google account, use firstname.lastname@example.org (undergraduates with Google Apps @ Illinois accounts) or for campus Exchange account, use email@example.com (faculty, staff, graduate and professional students with Exchange accounts).
- Click the Apply button at the top or bottom of the EDE webpage, and then log out.
- If you're using Microsoft Exchange, you'll also need to follow an Exchange-specific email redirection process: Email, Exchange, How to create a rule to forward mail from OWA Exchange 2010 to another email address.
NOTE: Changes to your email address may take up to 2-4 hrs to propagate to the email relays.