Office 365, Email, Your Email Address and the Email Redirection
This page contains information about how to use the Email Redirection service for your Illinois email.
Please note we cannot control what happens to email when you forward or redirect it to another email provider. We've seen cases where email sent to @illinois.edu and redirected to another domain, e.g. @yahoo.com, has been tagged as spam by the receiving email domain.
We encourage all University affiliates to use their provided Campus mailbox to ensure all University email is properly delivered. Also by law your @illinois.edu business email is is subject to audit so if you use your personal email account for @illinois.edu business then that account is also subject to audit.
How to Change Where Your Email Messages Are Delivered
Follow these steps to change where your email messages are delivered.
- Go to the Electronic Directory Editor (EDE).
- Log in to the EDE with your NetID and NetID password.
- Once you have logged in to the EDE, find the mail field and replace the existing email address with your new email address. Make sure that you type this email address correctly, or you will not receive your email.
Important: Do not leave this field blank or you will not receive your email!
Important: Do not replace the email address in this field with firstname.lastname@example.org, since "email@example.com" is only an alias for whatever address you have in the email field. If you change it to firstname.lastname@example.org, you will not receive email messages because there is no true destination address at which to deliver your email messages. If you wish to change your email redirection to the University provided student Google account, use email@example.com (undergraduates with Google Apps @ Illinois accounts) or for campus Exchange account, use firstname.lastname@example.org (faculty, staff, graduate and professional students with Exchange accounts, or undergraduates with Office 365 accounts).
- Click the Apply button at the top or bottom of the EDE webpage, and then log out.
- If you're using Microsoft Exchange, you'll also need to follow an Exchange-specific email redirection process: Office 365, Email, Exchange, Forwarding Exchange Email to Another Account.
NOTE: Changes to your email address may take up to 2-4 hrs to propagate to the email relays.