How to set a default 2FA device for AITS VPN
First, you must have a 2FA working device setup on your account at the NetID Center: 2FA, Enroll a new phone/new phone number (uillinois.edu)
The university recommends using Duo Push as your authentication method use the Duo Mobile Application on your smartphone. See KB 67790 for more information: 2FA, Installing the Duo Mobile app (uillinois.edu)
Once a 2FA device is set up under the NetID Center, set the default login setting for the AITS VPN using Duo Classic Manage:
- Go to the Duo Classic Manger: https://verify.uillinois.edu/classicManage. If prompted, login with your Net ID and password.
- Select My Settings & Devices
- Follow the on screen warning “First, we need to confirm it's really you” and authenticate with the 2FA device previously setup at the NetID Center
- Under My Settings & Devices use the “When I log in:” dropdown to set your default preference for connecting to the AITS VPN:
- To use the Duo App and Duo push as your default for the AITS VPN, choose: Automatically send this device a DUO push
- Otherwise choose: Automatically call this device
- Click Save
When you initiate a connection to the AITS VPN it will now send a Duo Push prompt to your phone, or it will call you based on the setting made.