Security, Cybersecurity Training and Awareness Overview
- Employee training is available at https://go.uillinois.edu/securitytraining (log in required). UIS students are encouraged to take cybersecurity training there.
- UIUC students are invited to join a free, open course in Canvas at https://go.illinois.edu/cybersecurity-champion.
We all face cybersecurity threats at work, school, and home. Cybersecurity training helps you identify and understand threats and familiarize yourself with actions you can take.
The current program provides ongoing cybersecurity training for all users that is based on current cybersecurity threats that you might face at work, school, and home. We appreciate any feedback about current training options and welcome suggestions regarding future offerings. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Why is cybersecurity important?
- Am I required to take cybersecurity training? Who is required to take cybersecurity training?
- Why is cybersecurity training required?
- How often do I have to take cybersecurity training?
- I don't use a computer in my university work. How do I take cybersecurity training?
- Why is training more than once a year?
- What is the difference between the My Assignments section and the Additional Training section?
- Why don't I see anything in the My Assignments section? After logging in, it says, "You are not currently enrolled in any training assignments."
- Why does the training under My Assignments go away when I’m done with it?
- Why does the training under Additional Training not go away when I’m done with it?
- How do I know what training modules I’ve completed?
- Will I get an email once I’ve completed the training?
- What is Proofpoint?
- Why do I see this log in screen?
- Can I use the Proofpoint Security Awareness platform in my classroom or other places outside the University of Illinois System?
- Who should I contact with questions or to learn more about cybersecurity?
Cybersecurity affects you, whether you use a computer, a tablet, or a smartphone (or all) in your work, school, or personal life. Cybersecurity is about keeping your technology safe, including networks, data, programs, and devices. Cybersecurity helps to protect your data and your devices, like a lock on the front door protects your home.
- University of Illinois System: Required for System Office employees (excluding Extra Help employees).
- University of Illinois Springfield and University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign: Required for all faculty and staff (excluding Extra Help employees and certain other employee classifications).
- Students are not required to take cybersecurity training. However, UIS students are encouraged to take cybersecurity training at https://go.uillinois.edu/securitytraining (log in required). UIUC students are invited to join a free, open course in Canvas at https://go.illinois.edu/cybersecurity-champion.
Required training occurs quarterly (every three months). Each training opportunity will feature a new topic and different training. It should take about 20 minutes to complete, and you’ll have three months to complete it.
We plan to offer paper-based training sessions again in Spring 2023. Please contact email@example.com if you are interested in these training sessions.
Cyber criminals are constantly changing their tactics. Regular cybersecurity training helps you stay safer as cyber threats evolve.
- The training under My Assignments is required training. It includes a due date, and completion rates are tracked for this training. Once you finish the training under My Assignments, it’s marked as complete, and the training module(s) are no longer available.
- The training under Additional Training is optional. You can take (and retake) it as many times as you like. The available training modules will change every month, so check back in the future for other cybersecurity training.
This may be for one of several reasons:
- You’ve already completed required training. When you complete required training, the training module(s) under My Assignments are marked as done in the training system, and they’re no longer available to you.
- You’re not required to take any training right now. You can always take (and retake) any of the optional training that’s available under Additional Training.
- We have you set up in the training system incorrectly. If you didn’t already take required training, and you expected to take it, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
The training system has marked your completion, and you don’t have to retake it. If you would like to retake any training, please contact email@example.com.
That training is freely available to anyone who logs in to the training system. It is optional, and you can retake it as many times as you’d like. Completion rates for that training are not tracked.
Log in to https://go.uillinois.edu/securitytraining. In the upper right corner, click your name and then select My Report Card. This shows you all the cybersecurity training you’ve completed.
Yes, you will get an email after you have completed required training; however, you will not receive an email if you did any optional training.
We’ve partnered with Proofpoint (formerly known as Wombat Security) to provide cybersecurity training and awareness to the university community. The Proofpoint Security Awareness platform includes security assessment tools, online cybersecurity training, additional outreach material, and much more.