Topics Map > Payroll > Benefits
UPB - Qualifying Events: How to Change Your State Benefit Plan Selections to support Life Events
University of Illinois System employees are only allowed to make changes to their State of Illinois benefit plans during the annual Benefit Choice period or when they experience a qualifying life event, such as the birth of a child.
Examples of Qualifying Events Are:
- Marriage or Civil Union
- Birth of a child or adoption
- Unpaid Leave
- Change in Employment Status for the Employee or Dependent
- Change in Insurance Coverage Status for a Dependent
What Documentation Do You Need to Provide?
- Marriage/Civil Union Certificate
- Birth Certificate
- Divorce Decree
- Proof of Dependent's Change of Employment or Insurance Coverage Status
Additional information regarding documentation requirements can be found here: https://www2.illinois.gov/cms/benefits/StateEmployee/Documents/Documentation_Requirements.pdf
Whom Do You Contact?
MyBenefits Service Center
- Available Monday – Friday, 8am-6pm CT
- Toll-free (844) 251-1777
- TDD/TTY (844) 251-1778
Visit the CMS Website for additional examples of Qualifying Events and other important information: http://www2.illinois.gov/cms/benefits/StateEmployee/Pages/QualifyingChangeinStatus.aspx