Topics Map > Infrastructure > Network > Virtual Private Network (VPN)
How do I install and use UIC VPN on Windows?
This document provides instructions on use of UIC’s new VPN solution. Please note that use of this VPN solution requires you to enroll in the university’s 2-Factor Authentication (2FA) solution. 2FA provides an additional level of security to protect your resources.
1. Download the VPN Software
If you haven't enrolled in the university's 2-Factor Authentication (2FA), visit https://identity.uillinois.edu and follow the steps. You will need to be enrolled to connect to the VPN.
- Go to https://go.uic.edu/getVPN, add the offering to your cart, and checkout (note: there is no charge for this software).
- On the resulting order confirmation page, select to download the AnyConnect client for Windows. Save the file at an easily findable location, such as your desktop or downloads folder.
2. Install the VPN Software
- Install the software with the steps below.
- Find the downloaded file on your computer (typically in your Downloads folder).
- Double click anyconnect-win-XXXXXX.exe. It will open a standard Windows installer. Click Next.
- Accept the License Agreement and click Next.
- Click Install.
- You will be prompted to allow the application to install - you must have administrator rights on your computer to allow this to proceed.
- Click Finish to complete the installation.
3. Run the VPN software
- Once installed, find the Cisco AnyConnect application in your Start Menu.
- Double click the application. This will launch the AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client.
- Type vpn.uic.edu into the space provided.
- Click Connect.
- You will need to enter your credentials to connect to the VPN. After a successful login, the field names will change to become more descriptive (Username becomes NetID and Second Password becomes 2FA Method).
- The Group will be pre-selected as General-Use but you may want to change this (you will need to change the group in order to access Library resources). Review What group should I use for AnyConnect VPN? .
- In the Username field type your UIC NetID
- In the Password field type your UIC common password.
- In the Second Password field, what you enter will depend on the 2FA method you want to use. Follow the instructions below for the method of your choice:
- Type push if you have the Duo App installed in your smart phone, then click OK. Your phone will prompt you to authorize the login request via the Duo app. Approve the login request to proceed. For more information about the Duo mobile app, see 2FA - Installing the Duo Mobile app
- Or type phone if you want to receive a phone call to your registered phone number, then click OK. Answer the call and follow the instructions given.
- Or type sms if you want to get a code via text message to your registered mobile device, then click OK. Your login attempt will ‘fail’ and you will be prompted to login to AnyConnect again. This time, re-enter your common password, and in the Second Password field enter the 6-digit code received via the text message. Note: the passcode expires after 5 minutes.
- If the above methods do not work for you, or you prefer not to use them, you can also directly enter the 6-digit code generated by your Duo mobile app or your registered OTP C100 physical token.
- To use the Yubikey model physical tokens, click within the Second Password field, and press the button on the Yubikey device. This will enter a long set of characters, and you can then click OK to log in.
- The AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client will appear again, confirming your connection.
- Next time you use the VPN, you will only need to re-enter your UIC common password and the 2FA method of your choice. Note the updated field labels.