Topics Map > Teaching & Learning > Learning Management System > Blackboard Learn
Topics Map > Teaching & Learning > Online Proctoring > Respondus
My exam uses Respondus LockDown and Monitor; what should I do as a student?
Some courses require students to use Respondus, an online proctoring tool. If this is the case, you will need to download and install Respondus LockDown Browser on their own computer to use it.
Respondus for Students
When a course requires the use of LockDown Browser and a webcam for online quizzes, you will need to prepare. The webcam can be the type that's built into your computer or one that plugs in with a USB cable. Watch this brief video to get a basic understanding of LockDown Browser and the webcam feature: https://web.respondus.com/lockdownbrowser-student-video/
Download and install UIC's version of LockDown Browser from this link:
NOTE: Respondus is compatible with Windows and Mac computers, and can also be used on an iPad via the Respondus iPad app. Respondus is NOT available on mobile phones or Chromebooks.
- Start LockDown Browser
- Log into Blackboard Learn
- Navigate to the test
Note: You won't be able to access tests with a standard web browser. If this is tried, an error message will indicate that the test requires the use of LockDown Browser. Simply start LockDown Browser and navigate back to the exam to continue.
When taking an online test, follow these guidelines:
- Select a location where you won't be interrupted
- Before starting the test, know how much time is available for it, and also that you've allotted sufficient time to complete it
- Turn off all mobile devices, phones, etc. and don't have them within reach
- Clear your area of all external materials - books, papers, other computers, or devices
- Remain at your desk or workstation for the duration of the test
- LockDown Browser will prevent you from accessing other websites or applications; you will be unable to exit the test until all questions are completed and submitted
Several resources are available if you encounter problems with LockDown Browser:
- The Windows and Mac versions of LockDown Browser have a "Help Center" button located on the toolbar. Use the "System & Network Check" to troubleshoot issues. If an exam requires you to use a webcam, also run the "Webcam Check" from this area
- Respondus has a Knowledge Base available from support.respondus.com. Select the "Knowledge Base" link and then select "Respondus LockDown Browser" as the product. If your problem is with a webcam, select "Respondus Monitor" as your product
- If you're still unable to resolve a technical issue with LockDown Browser, go to support.respondus.com and select "Submit a Ticket". Provide detailed information about your problem and what steps you took to resolve it.
For more information, see Student Quick Start Guide.