Topics Map > Computing Services
Topics Map > Communication & Collaboration > Cloud Storage > Box
What if I get Invalid Credentials/Error message when logging/sign-up into UIC Box?
When I try to login to (or sign up for) U of I Box an Invalid Credentials message is displayed and I am unable to access the application.
There are five reasons for this:
1. My UIC affiliation is not eligible to use U of I Box. External Affiliates (specific code: ZK) and a few other special affiliations are not eligible to use this service.
Solution: Please create a commercial Box account using either your uic.edu email address or a personal email address - please consult with your manager on which is more appropriate. It's also possible that your affiliation is incorrectly listed in Phone Book - please contact your department if you think this is the case. If your affiliation is corrected, you will need to wait until the next day to login successfully.
2. I am trying to login using a secondary NetID. Only primary netids are supported with U of I Box (as well as all other Shibboleth SSO applications).
Solution: Please make sure you are currently logged in with your primary netid. If you are not you will need to restart your browser and login again.
3. I have switched campuses within the University of Illinois
Solution: Please go here: https://discovery.illinois.edu/discovery/DS to reset your campus selection then try logging in again.
4. I have a commercial Box account using my uic.edu email address. You may not know it but you may have inadvertently signed up for a commercial Box account instead of a U of I Box account. This is a common problem.
Solution: Please open a ticket with email@example.com. A Box administrator will send you an invite link via email which you can use to migrate from the commercial account to the U of I account. In order to complete this process you will need to login to your commercial Box account using those credentials (not UIC credentials). If you've forgotten them you can request a new password from a link on their login page. If you ever get taken to a page that says "Not a part of University of Illinois?" you will need to click that link to be taken to the commercial account login. (Note: this is the new solution effective 9/19/2018).
5. I do not have a Box account.
Solution: Please go here: https://cloud-dashboard.illinois.edu to sign-up for U of I Box.