UPB - Initiating a Current Pay Adjustment (CPA): Unpaid Leave for Bi-Weekly Exempt Employees

You can initiate a Current Pay Adjustment (CPA) to record unpaid leave time for a bi-weekly paid Civil Service Exempt (salaried) employee.

See the CPA Window Quick Guide for when to initiate a CPA and Payroll Schedules for deadlines.

View the employee’s Payroll Record View (PRV)

  1. Log in to PARIS.
  2. Select the employee to adjust.
    1. Enter the employee’s UIN in the QUICK SEARCH field.
    2. Click the Search button. The Payroll Record View (PRV) opens.
      NOTE: If you don’t have the employee’s UIN, use the EMPLOYEE SEARCH. See the Performing an Advanced Employee Search job aid for help.

Adjust Pay

  1. Select Current Pay Adjustment under the TRANSACTIONS menu.
    NOTE: This option is only available when the pay period is open for current pay adjustments. Review the pay periods open for current pay adjustments in the yellow transaction alert window.
  2. Select the jobs to adjust.
    1. Select (expand) the current pay period.
    2. Click the JOBS bar to display each active job for the pay period.
    3. Click the green job bar for the job to adjust. Job Detail opens.
  3. Edit regular pay.
    Reduce the hours in the Hours Or Units field of regular pay (RGE) to the number of hours worked.
    NOTE: hours should be represented in full or half-day increments.
  4. Add a new unpaid earn code.
    1. Click the New Earn Code Selection menu.
    2. Select the appropriate unpaid earn code.
      • ACN – Accommodation No Pay Leave
      • AUA – Unexcused Absence w/o Pay
      • AUP – Excused Absence w/o Pay
      • CUR – FMLA/VESSA Lv Unp
      • FBL – Family Unpaid Bereavement
      • FLE – Family Lv (FMLA) Unpaid
      • MLU – Military Leave-No Pay
      • PDA – PEDA Leave (Police Only)
      • SNP – Suspension No-Pay
      • STK – Strike Unpaid-Adjust Hours
      • VUR – VESSA Leave Unpaid
      • WNR – Worker's Comp-No Pay
    3. Click the Add New Earn Code button.
    4. Enter the number of hours in the Hours Or Units field.
    5. Click the Save button (lower left) when all entries have been made.
      • Vacation and sick leave should not be reported on a CPA. Employees should use the appropriate Vacation and Sick Leave application.
      • You cannot edit the C-FOAPAL on Current Pay Adjustments
  5. Make additional corrections if required:
      • Add additional unpaid earn codes as required (step 4).
      • Select another job from this pay period to adjust (step 3.c).
  6. Review changes.

Enter Memo

  1. Enter a description for each adjustment in the transaction.
    1. Click the green MEMOS tab.
    2. Click in the Memos box.
    3. Enter a detailed description for the adjustments made.
    4. Click the Add button.
    5. If necessary, edit your phone number listed in the INITIATOR PHONE NUMBER field.


  1. Route the transaction.
    1. Click the Route button near the bottom left of the screen once all changes have been made.
    2. Successful routing is displayed in the yellow dialogue box at the top of the screen.
  2. NOTE: To cancel a transaction before routing it, select Delete Entire Transaction from the TRANSACTIONS menu. 

KeywordsPARIS, CPA, adjustment   Doc ID119699
OwnerDon S.GroupUI Training and Development Resources
Created2022-07-14 14:36:56Updated2024-03-26 09:58:59
SitesUniversity of Illinois Training and Development Resources
Feedback  0   0