Siebel Center Printers, Copiers, Scanners, Plotters (Poster printer)
Instructions for printing, copying, and scanning in the Siebel Center.
Individual queue names for using options on the shared departmental printers (such as double-sided ) are no longer supported.
|Location|| Queue Names
|2203 SC||siebl-2203-copier||RICOH IM 5000||General Use||stacker, stapler, hole-punch|
|3203 SC||siebl-3203-copier||Xerox Versalink B615||General Use||stacker, stapler, hole-punch|
|3203 SC||siebl-3203-printer||Xerox phaser 5550||General Use||Retiring Soon|
|3323 SC||siebl-3323-copier||Xerox Versalink B615||General Use||stacker, stapler, hole-punch|
|3323 SC||siebl-3323-printer||Xerox phaser 5550||General Use||Retiring Soon|
|4203 SC||siebl-4203-copier||RICOH IM 5000||General Use||stacker, stapler, hole-punch|
|4323 SC||siebl-4323-copier||RICOH IM 5000||General Use||stacker, stapler, hole-punch|
Networking and printing
In order to print, from a personal machine you must be able to make a connection to the print server.
- From off-campus you must connect via the before attempting to connect to the print server.
- From IllinoisNet_Guest wireless you must connect via the before attempting to connect to the print server.
- From IllinoisNet wireless or a wired connection on campus you can talk directly to the print server without needing the VPN client.
When prompted for a username and password, supply your username in the form uofi\NetID and use your Active Directory password.
Printing from Windows
- Go to the start menu and search for Control Panel.
- Go to Devices and Printers.
- Click on Add a printer.
- Select The printer that I want isn't listed.
- Select Find a printer by name or TCP/IP address and hit next.
- Enter \\engr-print-01.engr.illinois.edu\[Printer Name] where [Printer Name] is one of the Printer Queue names above.
- Click Next.
- If prompted for a user name and password, enter uofi\NetID and your password.
- Afterwards, you should get a You've successfully added [Printer Name] on engr-print-01.engr.illinois.edu.
- Click Next.
- If you want to set this printer as your default printer. click the Set as the default printer checkbox. If you want to print a test page, click on the Print a test page button.
- Click Finish and the printer should be ready to use.
Mac set-up for RICOH IM 5000 Copiers (Updated - New)
Here is the driver link for the RICOH IM 5000 Drivers. Download the DMG file and install it on your system.
- Open System Preferences.
- Click on Printers & Scanners.
- Click the + button to add a printer.
- Press the Internet globe icon.
- Under hostname, type in [printer name].cs.illinois.edu (for example if you want to add the copier in Siebel 2203, you would type in siebl-2203-copier.cs.illinois.edu)
- Wait for the bottom portion to be filled before pressing Done.
- Click Done.
- The printer should now appear under the list of available printers.
- Click on the printer and click the Options and Supplies... button.
- Click the Options tab and set the following options:
- Option Tray - Tray 3 (LCT)
- Finisher - Finisher SR3260
- Click OK
You may also set that printer to be your default printer by selecting it from the drop-down menu on the Print & Fax page in System Preferences.
Alternatively, you can print using Webprint in https://papercut.ics.illinois.edu.
Printing from Unix/Linux
Manually adding a RICOH IM 5000 to Ubuntu
- Open Settings and click on Printers.
- Click the Add Printer button.
- In the search field type in the printer name followed by ".cs.illinois.edu". (ie siebl-2105-copier.cs.illinois.edu)
- Double click on the option labeled "IM-5000". (It may take a few seconds for that option to show up.)
- You'll then be prompted to install the drivers. Click the Apply button.
- Next, click on the gear icon on the right side of the installed printer.
- Click on Installable Options in the left column and set the following options:
- Option Tray - Tray 3 (LCT)
- Finisher - Finisher SR3260
- Close out of the window and the printer should be fully setup.
Manually adding the print queue for self managed machines
- First elevate to root:
- Make sure cups is installed (more on that later)
Ubuntu - apt install cups
Redhat/Cent/Fedora - dnf install cups
- Ubuntu will auto-enable cups but Redhat you will probably have to enable it:
systemctl enable cups
systemctl start cups
- Now make sure that /etc/cups/ppd directory exists
ls -l /etc/cups/ppd
- If you do not recieve an error: "No such file or directory" You are good to move on
- Download the driver
For RICOH IM 5000 Copiers
wget -O /etc/cups/ppd/Ricoh-IM_5000-Postscript-Ricoh.ppd https://answers.uillinois.edu/images/group356/shared/Ricoh-IM_5000-Postscript-Ricoh.ppd
For Xerox Versalink B615
wget -O /etc/cups/ppd/xrxb615.ppd https://answers.uillinois.edu/images/group356/shared/xrxb615.ppd
For Xerox Phaser 5550
wget -O /etc/cups/ppd/xr5550dt.ppd https://answers.uillinois.edu/images/group356/shared/xr5550dt.ppd
- Now setup the printer with the downloaded driver
lpadmin -p Siebl-2203-copier -E -v socket://siebl-2203-copier.cs.illinois.edu -P /etc/cups/ppd/Ricoh-IM_5000-Postscript-Ricoh.ppd
- -p is printer name (see Queue Names in the table above)
- -E means enabled (otherwise you have to enable it after you enter this command)
- -v is device_url (The queue name with ".cs.illinois.edu" added to the end)
- -P printer driver
- Verify the printer is listed
- Exit root access
The Computer Science department owns and funds a large format printer for printing posters for research conferences and other CS department events. If you would like to have a poster printed, you need to submit a request and the Engineering IT Help Desk will print it for you. How to submit a poster printing request:
- Go to https://go.illinois.edu/posterprint/
- Fill in the form (Name, Net ID, Department, Poster Size)
- Attach a .pdf file of the poster
- Submit the form and wait for the Engineering IT Help Desk to notify you when the request is processed (Please allow at least 1 business day for the request to be processed)
- Pick up poster at the Siebel Center Help Desk at 2302
Some additional information:
- The posters have to be related to Computer Science
- We accept poster file in .pdf, .png, or .jpeg
- Posters can be printed in ANSI D (22"X34"), ANSI E(34"X44"), or a custom size
- To print a custom size, your submissions must be a PDF of the desired dimensions (Note: One dimension must be no larger than 36")
- Posters will be processed in chronological order. To avoid delays please submit form as early as possible.
- Pick up is offered during help desk hours, which are Monday–Fri 9 AM – 5 PM
There are copiers in the service rooms 2203, 3203, 3323, 4203, 4323 Siebel Center for Computer Science. A PIN number is needed to use the copiers. If you have a staff, faculty, or graduate student appointment with the CS department, you will be assigned a PIN number to use with the copiers located in Siebel Center 3203 and 3323. This PIN number can be retrieved by contacting the EngrIT helpdesk located in Siebel 2302.
The copiers in the service rooms 2203, 3203, 3323, 4203, 4323 Siebel Center for Computer Science have scan to email capability and are available to CS faculty, staff, and students.