Siebel Center Printing and Scanning
Instructions for printing, copying, and scanning in the Siebel Center.
This article lists all shared printers within the Siebel Center for Computing Science, as well as methods to connect to them. When selecting a printer to use, make sure to check your chosen options in the print dialogue (single/doublesided, color/B&W, staples). When selecting a printer, pay close attention to its name. As printers are updated, old, non-functional print queues stay on your computer.
List of Available Printers
|Location||Queue Name||Model||Allowed Users||Notes|
|1210||Siebel-1210-copier||RICOH IM 5000||CS Staff||In the Academic Office|
|2105||siebl-2105-copier||RICOH IM 5000||CS Staff||In the Second Floor Faculty Assistants Office|
|2203||Siebel-2203-copier||RICOH IM 5000||CS Faculty, Staff, and Students||In the CS File Room|
|2238||Siebel-2238-copier||Ricoh IM C3500||CS Staff||The only shared color printer in the building|
|3203||siebl-3203-copier||Xerox VersaLink B615||CS Faculty, Staff, and Students|
|3240||Siebel-3240-copier||RICOH IM 5000||CS Staff||In the Third Floor Faculty Assistants Office|
|3323||siebl-3323-copier||Xerox VersaLink B615||CS Faculty, Staff, and Students|
|3323||siebl-3323-printer||Xerox Phaser 5550||CS Faculty, Staff, and Students|
|4203||siebl-4203-copier||RICOH IM 5000||CS Faculty, Staff, and Students|
|4323||siebl-4323-copier||RICOH IM 5000||CS Faculty, Staff, and Students|
Networking and Printing
In order to print from a personal machine, you must be connected to the University's network.
- From off-campus you must connect via the Tech Services VPN before attempting to connect to the print server.
- From IllinoisNet_Guest you must connect via the Tech Services VPN before attempting to connect to the print server.
- From IllinoisNet or a wired connection on campus no VPN is required.
Note: When prompted for a username and password, enter your username in the form UofI\NetID. Without the UofI\ prefix, your credentials will not work.
Printing from Windows
The instructions here will show you how add an Engineering shared printer to your Windows computer. Search for your printer using the corresponding Queue Name from the chart above.
Printing from Mac
Note: Printing to Non-RICOH printers from Mac is not recommended, as Xerox has not made new drivers for these printers for the latest Mac OS releases.
First, download and install the appropriate drivers here.
Then, follow the instructions here to add the RICOH printers to your Mac computer. Use the corresponding Queue Name from the chart above for the printer you wish to add.
After adding the printer, select it, and click "Options & Supplies..." Click the Options tab and set the following options:
- Option Tray - Tray 3 (LCT)
- Finisher - Finisher SR3260
- Click OK
You may also set a printer to be your default printer by selecting it from the drop-down menu on the Print & Fax page in System Preferences.
Alternatively, you can print using Webprint at https://papercut.ics.illinois.edu, though this option lacks finishing features.
Printing from Unix/Linux
Driver files: RICOH IM 5000 Xerox Versalink B615 Xerox Phaser 5550
Manually adding a RICOH IM 5000 to Ubuntu
- Open Settings and click on Printers.
- Click the Add Printer button.
- In the search field type in the printer name followed by ".cs.illinois.edu". (ie siebl-2105-copier.cs.illinois.edu)
- Double click on the option labeled "IM-5000". (It may take a few seconds for that option to show up.)
- You'll then be prompted to install the drivers. Click the Apply button.
- Next, click on the gear icon on the right side of the installed printer.
- Click on Installable Options in the left column and set the following options:
- Option Tray - Tray 3 (LCT)
- Finisher - Finisher SR3260
- Close out of the window and the printer should be fully setup.
Manually adding the print queue for self managed machines
- First elevate to root:
- Make sure cups is installed (more on that later)
Ubuntu - apt install cups
Redhat/Cent/Fedora - dnf install cups
- Ubuntu will auto-enable cups but Redhat you will probably have to enable it:
systemctl enable cups
systemctl start cups
- Now make sure that /etc/cups/ppd directory exists
ls -l /etc/cups/ppd
- If you do not recieve an error: "No such file or directory" You are good to move on
- Download the driver
For RICOH IM 5000 Copiers
wget -O /etc/cups/ppd/Ricoh-IM_5000-Postscript-Ricoh.ppd https://answers.uillinois.edu/images/group356/shared/Ricoh-IM_5000-Postscript-Ricoh.ppd
For Xerox Versalink B615
wget -O /etc/cups/ppd/xrxb615.ppd https://answers.uillinois.edu/images/group356/shared/xrxb615.ppd
For Xerox Phaser 5550
wget -O /etc/cups/ppd/xr5550dt.ppd https://answers.uillinois.edu/images/group356/shared/xr5550dt.ppd
- Now setup the printer with the downloaded driver
lpadmin -p Siebl-2203-copier -E -v socket://siebl-2203-copier.cs.illinois.edu -P /etc/cups/ppd/Ricoh-IM_5000-Postscript-Ricoh.ppd
- -p is printer name (see Queue Names in the table above)
- -E means enabled (otherwise you have to enable it after you enter this command)
- -v is device_url (The queue name with ".cs.illinois.edu" added to the end)
- -P printer driver
- Verify the printer is listed
- Exit root access
The Computer Science department owns and funds a large format printer for printing posters for research conferences and other CS department events. If you would like to have a poster printed, you need to submit a request and the Engineering IT Help Desk will print it for you. How to submit a poster printing request:
- Go to https://go.illinois.edu/posterprint/
- Fill in the form (Name, Net ID, Department, Poster Size)
- Attach a .pdf file of the poster
- Submit the form and wait for the Engineering IT Help Desk to notify you when the request is processed (Please allow at least 1 business day for the request to be processed)
- Pick up poster at the Siebel Center Help Desk at 2302
Some additional information:
- The posters have to be related to Computer Science
- We accept poster file in .pdf, .png, or .jpeg
- Posters can be printed in ANSI D (22"X34"), ANSI E(34"X44"), or a custom size
- To print a custom size, your submissions must be a PDF of the desired dimensions (Note: One dimension must be no larger than 36")
- Posters will be processed in chronological order. To avoid delays please submit form as early as possible.
- Pick up is offered during help desk hours, which are Monday–Fri 9 AM – 5 PM
There are copiers in the service rooms 2203, 3203, 3323, 4203, 4323 Siebel Center for Computer Science. A PIN number is needed to use the copiers. If you have a staff, faculty, or graduate student appointment with the CS department, you will be assigned a PIN number to use with the copiers located in Siebel Center 3203 and 3323. This PIN number can be retrieved by contacting the EngrIT helpdesk located in Siebel 2302.
The copiers in the service rooms 2203, 3203, 3323, 4203, 4323 Siebel Center for Computer Science have scan to email capability and are available to CS faculty, staff, and students.