Email Mailbox Migration to (Office 365) Exchange Online
Technology Services has announced the release of Microsoft Exchange Online(Office 365). This system will replace the Microsoft Exchange 2010/2013 system currently used by faculty, staff, and graduate students for email, contacts, and calendaring. The new system is faster and offers some improvements in the web and mobile clients such as the ability to create online meetings with Skype for Business and Office 365 Groups.
When will my mailbox be migrated?
What is being migrated?
- Messages in your Inbox (including subfolders), Sent items, and other email settings like signatures, rules, alerts, and categories
- Scheduled events in your Exchange calendar
- Tasks and reminders
- Contacts in the address book
What you should do BEFORE the mailbox migration
- Be sure you know the passwords for any group or shared mailboxes that you manage. These may not be needed but should be readily available.
- Bookmark the new Outlook on the Web URL in your browser(s): https://outlook.office365.com (It will not work until after the migration)
What you should do AFTER the mailbox migration
- Be certain that you close and reopen your mail client (Outlook).
- Please note that some clients may need the account removed and re-added.
- Remember the new Outlook on the Web URL: https://outlook.office365.com
- Be aware of the new "Focused" inbox that is enabled by default. Learn more here: Office 365: Outlook Focused Inbox
Trouble AFTER the migration
Issues opening Outlook mail client on your work PC or laptop:
- Email IT@VetMed.illinois.edu with the details of the problem.
- Use Outlook on the Web until we visit you to help troubleshoot the problem: https://outlook.office365.com
- Please note that webmail.illinois.edu will NOT work after your mailbox is migrated. You will need to use https://outlook.office365.com
Mobile Device Help
- Open Outlook
- Select Tools
- Select Accounts
- Select Advanced
- In the Server box Type: outlook.office365.com
- Select OK (Save)
- If prompted, retype your email email@example.com and your password
- Email VetMed IT: IT@VetMed.illinois.edu
- Email or Call Technology Services Help Desk: firstname.lastname@example.org or 217-244-7000