Students: Windows 7 Laptop Upgrade or Replacement
Posted: 08:11:21, Thursday, Sep 19, 2019 Expiration: 08:11:21, Saturday, Feb 1, 2020
Microsoft announced that Windows 7 support (updates and security patches) will end on January 20, 2020. Window 7 machines will not be allowed on or to access the university network after this date due to security concerns. This includes using the VPN from a Windows 7 PC.
If you have a Windows 7 PC: You should upgrade it NOW or replace it with a new windows 10 laptop
- The university Webstore has the Windows 10 upgrade available to you at no charge, see below.
- If your laptop is aged and you are considering a new one the current requirements are on our knowledgebase here: Personal Computer Requirements
Please note: The IT staff at Vet Med does not perform operating system upgrades on personal laptops. You will be responsible for upgrading your PC to Windows 10.
Windows 10 upgrade preparation and download from the Webstore (Allow a minimum of 1 hour for the actual upgrade to perform.)
Before upgrading you should do the following:
- Keep your device AC adapter plugged in at all times
- Ensure you are on a reliable WiFi source.
- If your current version of Windows is not up to date, you won't be able to install Windows 10. In Windows 7, you should be running service pack 1. Make sure you check Windows Updates to ensure you have the latest installed. It's under Control Panel.
- Backup all of your data before performing an upgrade. Updating to Windows 10 shouldn't impact your data, but it's always a good idea to have your important information backed up. Save pictures, music, videos and documents on an external hard drive, or in cloud storage.
- Download the upgrade from the webstore and follow their instructions.
- Direct URL: https://webstore.illinois.edu/shop/product.aspx?zpid=2899 or you can go there manually with the steps below.
- Open a browser and navigate to webstore.illinois.edu
- Select Shop Personal Purchases
- In the Product Search window type windows 10 and select go
- Select Microsoft Windows 10 Education Upgrade for U of I Students License & Download - Campus Agreement and it to your cart and checkout, it is free, and install it following their instructions for installation and setup.
If you need professional assistance below are a couple of services to look into:
Microsoft document: Upgrade to Windows 10: FAQ
-- UI College of Veterinary Medicine: Tina Olszewski
Created: 19:13:08, Tuesday, Sep 17, 2019 (by Tina O.)
Updated: 14:11:03, Thursday, Jan 16, 2020 (by Tina O.)