Personal Computer Requirements
The College of Veterinary Medicine requires its professional students to own a notebook computer- either a tablet PC or a traditional laptop. Mobile computer technology enables greater flexibility so that you can easily bring your device and electronic notes to each class and home. Tablet technology allows you to use a stylus pen or finger to operate the computer without a keyboard or mouse, and the ability to add hand-written notes to an instructor’s materials for further study proves invaluable to our current DVM students.
- Windows 10 Professional / Mac OS X 10.12 Sierra or higher
- Intel Core i5 processor (2.5 GHz) equivalent or higher
- Memory (RAM): 8GB
- High Definition (HD) Graphics card
- 320 GB hard drive (Solid State hard drive recommended but not required)
- WPA2-capable wireless connectivity (external link) and a/b/g/n wireless card 5GHz preferred
- 3 year complete coverage or accidental care warranty
- Miniumum 500 GB external backup hard drive or sufficient cloud based storage (no important data should be stored solely on the laptop)
- Optional: Display adapter for projector/television connection. Typically a Mini DisplayPort or USB-C, dependent on the PCs connection, to VGA/HDMI Check with your retailer or manufacturer to determine which works with your PC.
- Illini Union Tech Zone: http://www.techzone.illinois.edu
- CDW-G: http://www.cdwg.com/
- Dell: http://www.dell.com/
- HP: http://www.hp.com/