Topics Map > Computing Infrastructure
Topics Map > Teaching and Learning
Amazon Web Services (AWS), Free Resources for Students and Instructors
AWS Free Resources and Accounts for Students and Instructors
The University does not provide free AWS accounts for students to use, except as it may be necessary for a course. However, here are some alternatives.
- AWS Educate is a free, self-paced environment to help you learn cloud technology. https://aws.amazon.com/education/awseducate/
- AWS Free Tier account provides 2 months free use of many Amazon services such as SageMaker to learn or explore Machine learning: https://aws.amazon.com/free/ and https://aws.amazon.com/pm/sagemaker/.
- AWS offers SageMaker Studio Lab, a free notebook environment for customers that want to learn and experiment with machine learning code and models. Key benefits are:
- Completely free, you only need a valid email - no credit card or AWS account required
- No Set Up required - enabling you to focus on the data science lesson, not the configuration headaches
- Based on the open source community Project Jupyter
- Access to both CPU (12 hours per user session) and GPU (4 hours per user session)
- 15 GBs of persistent storage - enabling you and your students to save work in between user sessions
- Tight integration to Github
- Terminal access
- Try for yourself by going to https://aws.amazon.com/sagemaker/studio-lab/ to request an account. You may use the reference code University-4DB96, that is good until August 15th, 2022 to get immediate access.
- For instructors who want to use SageMaker Studio Lab in your classrooms, AWS can issue additional reference codes to enable students to also get access immediately. For more information, contact Luke Chirhart.
- AWS Activate provides credits for startups, so if you are working toward a solution for possible commercialization you can apply for $1000 of credits. https://aws.amazon.com/activate/
- You can also create your own AWS account and pay for it through a credit card. https://aws.amazon.com/premiumsupport/knowledge-center/create-and-activate-aws-account
- AWS Academy provides free access to AWS but only through a series of courses provided by AWS. Instructors wanting to incorporating AWS Academy materials into courses can get more information here: AWS Educate and AWS Academy.
Here are some alternatives from other providers.
Questions: Send an email to email@example.com